Iridium plugs?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rfuria78

98 GTX RFI

Can I use NGK BR8EIX in place of the standard BR8ES??
Ngk website says both these plugs fit from 99 and up skis, but doesn't list any older skis.
I have used the autolite powersport iridium plugs in my waveraider years ago. It made a difference.

You can but your just wasting money.

There’s no benefit at all to using them over the standard ones.

That is what my “research” turned up, when I was looking into them; I seem to remember the “advantage” iridium having over standard is “longer life.” Well, that don’t do me no good cuz, it’ll be an icy day in you-know-where before I start a season without fresh, new plugs!

At $2.50 each just replace the standard ones at the beginning of each season.

I hear that - I swear I get better throttle response, etc. with 90 octane zero ethanol (over 87) and some guys roll their eyes at me and I ain’t met anyone that doesn’t “feel” the difference in a new set of plugs , after 40-50 hours on an old set.

You “probably” can swap in the iridiums no problem but, since NGK always seems to be accessible and have a tech available to answer questions, you may want to (I def would) check directly with them, first!

Run what you feel best with but in all honesty it’s in your head. You will get no additional performance from the plugs or running anything higher than 87 octane.

You’re not going to hurt anything running the iridium plugs, but you’re not going to see any real benefit either. The only advantage to the iridium over the copper plug is the anti fouling property, and it’s really not a significant difference in these motors because a properly set up carb and oil system shouldn’t foul the plugs anyway.

As far as the fuel goes, the performance benefit in the 90 octane vs the 87 is in the lack of ethanol content rather than the octane. It’s a common misconception that higher octane fuel makes more power. Actually, the most power you can make is with the lowest octane fuel that doesn’t detonate... The difference you’re seeing is because ethanol is less energy dense than gasoline...

Run what you feel best with but in all honesty it’s in your head.

Gotcha but, anytime anyone says that (“it’s in your head”), I ALWAYS harken back to days (and nights!) of past ...: :p

“When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And the white knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's "off with her head!"
Remember what the dormouse said:

Feed your head
Feed your head”

... The difference you’re seeing is because ethanol is less energy dense than gasoline...

Hey! Color me ... LEARNING! :thumbs-up:

Trust me, and miki, we raced for years, and no one, that I know, we're using iridium plugs, if it was advantage, believe me, I /we (all the racers), ), would have used them. The more important issue is to gap them properly. Save your money, and try to find Solid core plugs, tuff to find up here.

The only place for the platinum and iridium plugs is in cars that go 100,000 miles between changes due to erosion. On skis that just doesn’t happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back