Intermittent Starting Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextileWolf

I have a 2005 GTI that sometimes starts just fine and others you have to crank and crank it. Eventually it will start after waiting long enough. Could it be some kinda kill switch malfunctioning?

Sounds like your carb needs a service....if she cranks good but won't fire pretty quickly that usually indicates either a fuel problem or a spark problem......based on age alone...I'd suspect a fuel issue.

Have you tried squirting a little pre-mix into the carb and cranking her over? if she fires quickly....service your carb (and by service I mean - rebuild it with a genuine Mikuni carb kit/parts...NO AFTERMARKET kit). The ski is 15 years old, has the carb ever been serviced before? If not, it's time.

Opps.....is this a 2005 GTI RFI LE edition? If so, then you might need to look into your fuel injector?

Sounds like your carb needs a service....if she cranks good but won't fire pretty quickly that usually indicates either a fuel problem or a spark problem......based on age alone...I'd suspect a fuel issue.

Have you tried squirting a little pre-mix into the carb and cranking her over? if she fires quickly....service your carb (and by service I mean - rebuild it with a genuine Mikuni carb kit/parts...NO AFTERMARKET kit). The ski is 15 years old, has the carb ever been serviced before? If not, it's time.

Opps.....is this a 2005 GTI RFI LE edition? If so, then you might need to look into your fuel injector?

I should have been more clear...RFI version

I should have been more clear...RFI version
Yep, thought so....I still suspect fuel delivery so dig into the injector.....if it starts eventually, that tells me spark is probably there.....I'll assume the compression is there as well since it will eventually start as well....so, keeps circling back to fuel delivery in my opinion.

Yep, thought so....I still suspect fuel delivery so dig into the injector.....if it starts eventually, that tells me spark is probably there.....I'll assume the compression is there as well since it will eventually start as well....so, keeps circling back to fuel delivery in my opinion.
This problem reared it’s head in a big way this weekend and wouldn’t start. We pulled the plugs and they appear to have been flooded and the ski reeked of gas. Pretty sure this is a intermittent spark issue. Could it be related to the lanyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back