Input on 180 Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

englechad

Hello All,
I am looking at joining the Sea-Doo world by getting a 180 Challenger. I checked out a couple new ones recently (2010 255hp SE's) look sweet as well as found a mega nice used one (2008 4hrs of use, just serviced. Talked with the shop and is in great condition)

What are your thoughts on new vs. used on the 180 Challenger? Anything about the specific boat I should know about? (repairs, common break downs or whatever else) Is there a huge difference between the 215hp & 255hp? I am 6'3 and have several friends and a retriever that will be going with me on my boating trips most of the time and I am making sure I am choosing the correct boat.

Thanks in advance for all the help. I really appreciate it. I've been a car nut all my life (tracked them, rebuilt them etc.) but, have never owned a boat!
cheers,
-Chad

I've only tested a 255hp one. Very nice boat, handles well, LOUD(put sound damping rubber down the gunwales). I'm looking at purchasing this on the weekend. Without going crazy on the throttle(hadn't run in yet being a demo) we were at 60km/hr half throttle in the time it took me to read the display! It should do 80km/hr flat out.
cheers

My first Seadoo was an 06 C180 with the single 215. I felt it was just not enough. I really liked the layout though. The bow sat low, easy for waves to come over in rougher water. Would suggest going with 255 just for more power. I went twin engine.

Ned

...What are your thoughts on new vs. used on the 180 Challenger?...

I'm about to pull the trigger on an '08 180 Challenger myself. Just trying to negotiate the numbers with the owner. If I buy before you do, I'll let you know. I'm also a first-time owner. We plan to use this boat with family and friends, tow people on tubes and stuff, so I'll let you know how that works.

I'm not looking for flat-out top speed, but I'd like to see good acceleration from a stop for best use with towing. Hauling at full-throttle seems to burn mass quantities of fuel (in any boat), so I would limit that to shorter runs.

I think this seems like a good first boat, as the entry price on an '08 (or earlier) is low, it's got a lot of good features and (hopefully) good fun factor.

I've only tested a 255hp one. Very nice boat, handles well, LOUD(put sound damping rubber down the gunwales)...
cheers

I don't understand how putting damping on the gunwales would help, :confused:
besides looking ugly. I'm new to boating, but I thought the gunwales are where the top edge of the boat meets the side edge (i.e., on the outside). Don't you mean inside the engine compartment, maybe on the inside of the lid?

Yes, inside, forward of the engine and up the sides under the gunwales. The sound seems to resonate through the boat making it loud. Easy go fix though. The 180 is a cool little boat, easy to handle, but I would go for 255hp. Just so if you have a huge load it will still go well.
Good luck
cheers

I have an 06 SC /single 4 tek 215. It's a great boat, power is adequate for pulling tubes and skiers, depending on how many passengers are on-board at the time. Only complaint I have after nearly 4 years is the bow sits too low, something that must be watched when you are out in rough waters, cruising through a no-wake zone where the boat rides level, or slowing to pick up a downed skier there, most any wave has a chance of washing over the bow, you will need to constantly be watching and give short bursts of throttle to lift the bow over incoming waves

I've had my 180 for about a year. Power is fine on the 215 IMHO (unless you load 8 adults in there and to do some skiing). I agree on the bow being too low. Otherwise its a fine low maintenance boat.

When you say "several" friends.. how many? Its comfortable with 4-5 adults. Beyond that it can get a little cramped.

There is nothing wrong with more power if you can get it though... I'd have grabbed the 255 if it was in my price range.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back