Injection Oil Tank Repair

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I've done one other oil tank previously and it was slow going with my older soldering gun. I gave this tank a go with the more powerful soldering gun I bought last year. I gotta say the new gun gets it done way better. It didn't take long at all to go around the tank and fuse the plastic together and as you can see in the first picture the tank was in horrible shape. It is important to me that I keep the jobs moving as whenever I have to order a part that's usually 4 days added to the process. This is surely a doable project and I saved $110 or so for 20 minutes work. I tested the tank by putting some gas in there and rolling it around. A-OK. I'd like to get some plastic rods or material that match. I melted and fused plastic tubing in a couple of places just to build up a bit and to see how it worked out. This method is surely the ticket for me.

2002 RX Restore 5-7-22 (12).JPEG

RX DI Assembly 5-19-22 (1).JPEG

Last edited:
So how did that repair work out? Mine has 2 small vertical cracks from the seam up. What kind of plastic tubing did you use? thanks

Wouldn't it be easier to use some kind of RTV Sealant...than to melt the two pieces together?

I just melted everything together. I just tried a couple of pieces of tubing I had in my shop but the repair was complete when I used the tubing. I just wanted to fill in some spots a bit more like... where the cracks were located.

If I were you I'd test the whole tank. If it's cracked it is likely leaking from a few spots. Once and done. Best way.

So how did that repair work out? Mine has 2 small vertical cracks from the seam up. What kind of plastic tubing did you use? thanks
I haven't installed it yet but it will be fine. I'm painting the hull on the RX so it is upside down at the moment and will be like that for the rest of the week or more. LOL

I text the tank by closing off the 2 lower hoses,,,leaving the sensor in place to close that orifice,,,fill the tank with water…inject orange etc food colour,,,put a rag over the fill opening,,insert an air gun,,then I am able to partially pressurize the tank and expand it,,,any leaks show up,,,,i
That is my first move actually to find all the leaks,,,

Wouldn't it be easier to use some kind of RTV Sealant...than to melt the two pieces together?
Typical result with any putty, silicone, epoxy applied to the outside of a container is the leak will return. And as stated, nothing is going to bond to the base material.

New tanks don't cost very much. Once and done. :) I never bought one but I might. I'd surely get one without a seam if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back