identify my seadoo engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

mikispike

i got what i though 1998 seadoo gsx limited 1998 but it was painted cheap.
after power wash the ski i saw some color come off.
now on title says 1997 gsx but the real color of the haul is black on bottom and top is red like the 1999 model base on the seadoo source website.
the engine look like the silver engine so im very confused what mix i got lol.
i think they tool the vin of the 97 they had title for and put it on the better haul of the 1999 they had.
less care about hull year more wanna know how i check which 951 engine i got i saw base on partzilla that there is like 3 or 4 models of the 951.
and i wanna know which one is mine so i can order the right parts for it.
corrently have issue with starting that im doing checks for but wanna know how to check which engine i got.

So the “genius” previous owner paint the engine all red but some area paint came off and it’s bare metal so I’m not sure.
I know there is the 1997.5 engine and then the newer ones but even them when u go to partzilla they have on 1998 3 different engine same to 1999.

Look for casting dates..(possibly easiest to find would be on the exhaust manifold
97.5 & 98 are single coil
99 dual coil
Different flywheel magnito

So I checked it it’s 99’
But on partzilla they have gsx limited 5848 and 5849 how I know which is what I got?
And interesting part is the hull is black on bottom and red on top base on seadoo source it’s 1999 hull but my vin is 97 in the end and title says 97.
I think the old owner had 99 and 97 and probably took the vin plate and put it on the 99 to sell it with title

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 12
I had the engine running a bit rich so far so that good.
I gonna take a video and upload it tomorrow to show what I’m stuck with now.
I had some rope stuck to my shaft so I gonna take that apart to remove it. Ski won’t start out of no where.
And sound weird.
I did manage to get it running for a min on water through the few attempts and when it run it felt as if the ski pushing back instead of forward.
Is it possible for a two stroke to fail to the point it will spin the other direction?

i took apart my mag cover and flywheel because the key broke.
my question is i saw few threads saying about having the wrong flywheel and magneto how i check i have the right one on?
the engine is 99 gsx 951

i took apart my mag cover and flywheel because the key broke.
my question is i saw few threads saying about having the wrong flywheel and magneto how i check i have the right one on?
the engine is 99 gsx 951
Im pretty sure the flywhell itself is the same but the mag thing on the flywheel could be different. The timing would be off and would not run at all if it wasn't right. If you tried to start it, it would backfire or not try to fire at all.

Back