I need advice FAST on a 98 xp limited.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKnarrowback

Hi guys.

Here is the deal. I have a chance to pick up a 98 xp limited. It is in pretty good shape, runs but needs a new top end. It comes with new parts to do the top end. My old supervisor from the shop I worked at bought it as is, ran it once and it has been sitting for 5 years. He only wants $500 for it.

Here is where I need help. I can do all the work it needs, but I simply do not have the familiarity with the generation of machine. It has the 950 ish motor in it and it's carbed. Can you guys give me the back ground on the motor and carbs? Known problems, things to look for, was it a good set up or not?

I have to make things happen in the next 36 hours if I want to get in on this. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I say that model is a great ski. I've had one since it was nearly new, and I haven't bought a new one because I'm not bored with it yet. Its quick, maneuverable, and its comfortable to ride standing up. The handle bars are at a good angle and height for standing while riding.
One thing I've seen go wrong with the motor is the pipe to exhaust manifold gasket. If you have the 98, it has the gasket as opposed to the o-ring that came out in later models. I've been told the gasket is actually better. Just make sure the pipe is installed in the sequence listed in the manual and make sure the rubber mounts are good and lined up correctly. There is now a boot available that covers the joint just in case of a leak. The purpose of the boot is to keep water from a leak from being ingested by the carbs, which are close to the gasket. If you maintain your ski often and check it out after every ride, you should be alerted to any leaks starting. Mine leaked only once in its lifetime.
The other thing I see that needs maintenance every now and then are the driveshaft dampers. The 98 dampers will need replacing more often than the 99 and later dampers. No big deal though, they don't take that much work to replace. I keep some spares on hand in case I need them.
The carbs are good. They will last years on a rebuild. If you change from the stock airbox though, you have to re-jet to avoid running lean. If you do that, research the subject first.
Overall, its a solid set up.

Oh yeah, when you do the top end, just pull the motor to do it. When you get to the point where you're ready to pull the engine, let us know.

Last edited:
Thanks.

If that pipe gasket leak is anything like my 787 gtx leak was..... The gasket looked perfect, didn't leak at low rpm's, but rev it high enough and it looked like a wet sponge getting wrung out. Not a jet of water just an intense "sweat" action that put out an amazing amount of water. I did notice an odd rubber cover over the exhaust gasket area and it seemed odd looking. My Friend who is selling it confirmed the top end work is needed due to water ingestion scoring the pistons and not high hours or neglect. He left the shop we worked at and started his own boat/sled/atv maintenance business so he already has a selection of pistons to match whatever work we need to do to fix what we find inside. The machine starts and runs fine, but it has signs of scoring so I plan on just fixing it first thing if I get it.

I have 4 DOOs in the yard, the 94 GTX is going to get sold to buy the XP. I forgot how rough it is running that flatter hull across a rough lake.....

If I play my cards right I could actually have the 98 xp running before the crank comes in for my 94 xp I'm rebuilding right now.

Well I got it.

Like do many projects on here it needs a bath, new pistons, probably cylinder work. It ran good when parked but I don't like running a motor with intake side smearing so the motor is getting done right. Full fuel system work over, needs a link at the nozzle for the trim, vts is kaput. Needs some work but very salvageable, it's in perfect condition compared to how my 94 xp looked and ran when it was given to me. We only have a few more warm weeks before the slide into winter so I'm getting to work.20210708_175000.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back