I know this is not the YamahaForum site, but ...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

grhonk

I changed the jet oil in my 97 xp, and as long as I got the trailer tongue high in the air, I thought I would do the 03 Yamaha right next to the xp. However, nobody makes things the same way and there is a cone but no set screw to fill the cone. Just curious on this one .. does anyone know how to change the jet oil in a Yamaha? The YamahaForum.com is worthless. One day and no replies. That is, there is no Lou on the Yamaha forum.

I changed the jet oil in my 97 xp, and as long as I got the trailer tongue high in the air, I thought I would do the 03 Yamaha right next to the xp. However, nobody makes things the same way and there is a cone but no set screw to fill the cone. Just curious on this one .. does anyone know how to change the jet oil in a Yamaha? The YamahaForum.com is worthless. One day and no replies. That is, there is no Lou on the Yamaha forum.

yeah, but Pale Rider is here! and I miss my 08 GPR!

you have to remove the pump to get access to the grease...

GPR or XLT?

remove steering cable at steering nozzle
slide back the retainer on the quick shift cable and pop off the cable from the ball stud at the steering nozzle trim ring.
disconnect the siphon bilge hose at the side of the venturi/exit nozzle
remove the 4 long bolts that go thru the exit nozzle and pump.
remove the venturi exit nozzle from the pump, sometimes it is sealed on and sometimes not, there are prying ears on the side of the casting if you look, and place your screw driver or small pry bar, one on each side and work off gradually. There are alignment pins , don`t loose these or remove the pins.

pull the pump towards you, sliding the drive shaft out.

hopefully you don`t have massive corrosion causing the drive shaft to get stuck in the mid shaft.

remove the allen head screws that hold the cone on.

you should have grease in the yami pumps. but it is a great idea to convert to oil/grease slurry.
or us a quality 75W85/90 gear oil.

flush the grease out with brakleen or carb cleaner, don`t let it sit in there to long before you turn over and dump out the mess. repeat until the old grease is gone.

with the pump cone side up you want to fill the pump until it is level with the top of the bearing that you see. it will take a little time to get the oil down past the sleeve and into the other bearing, simply rotate the drive shaft back and forth with your hand to speed up the flow...

Look here for pics:
http://islandracingperformance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781

you will need to register in order to see the pics and read the forum... It is a good forum for yamaha`s...

good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, Pale! Thanks for the tips. It seems a lot more work than my XP. Waiting for the admin to accept my new application before I can get on the Island Racing website. Does this take a day to complete? Saw a great video on UTube taking the pump out.

Awesome, Pale! Thanks for the tips. It seems a lot more work than my XP. Waiting for the admin to accept my new application before I can get on the Island Racing website. Does this take a day to complete? Saw a great video on UTube taking the pump out.
The yamaha pumps are far superior to the plastic seadoo pumps.
may take a day or 2 to get set up over at IR. That`s one busy shop...
you could do that in a couple of hours if all goes well... take your time and don`t snap any bolts.
you didn`t mention which model ski, so you may have a reverse bucket to remove as well. just look at how it comes off and disassemble. reassemble in reverse order...

good luck...:cool:

you could do that in a couple of hours if all goes well... take your time and don`t snap any bolts.
you didn`t mention which model ski, so you may have a reverse bucket to remove as well. just look at how it comes off and disassemble. reassemble in reverse order...

Sorry, I bought my ski used from the local dealer last spring. I have no idea what vintage it is (except it's 2003) or what style. It says Waverunner on the side ... big help, eh?! I have not seen a reverse gear on this ski. How do I learn about the classes of Yamaha's? I put oil in it so I think it's a two-stroke and it has two spark plugs. Now, I am sounding like my wife who knows where the gas filler door and ignition key are located. I've been using mineral oil which is probably wrong, because I can see a lot of black film gathering around the back of the hull. I am looking to get a manual from somewhere.

Ok. I feel pretty stupid now. It's printed on the side of the ski - XLT800. Do they have reverse buckets? BTW, what is IR?

Wasn't "Pale Rider" a Clint Eastwood movie?

Ok. I feel pretty stupid now. It's printed on the side of the ski - XLT800. Do they have reverse buckets? BTW, what is IR?

Wasn't "Pale Rider" a Clint Eastwood movie?

IR is Island Racing, The owner carl is hard to get bc he is very busy with the new shop. But he is the man when it comes to Yamaha and the ski`s...

Yup! after one of my favorite movies! had that screen name for years...:cheers:

IR is Island Racing, The owner carl is hard to get bc he is very busy with the new shop. But he is the man when it comes to Yamaha and the ski`s...

Yup! after one of my favorite movies! had that screen name for years...:cheers:

A couple more things if you don't mind .. What is a reverse bucket? You mentioned an oil/grease slurry, but I don't know how to make this slurry and what kind of grease to use. Do you have any suggestions on the slurry concoction? :cheers:

A couple more things if you don't mind .. What is a reverse bucket?

It's that (black, plastic?) bucket or "paddle" that directs the flow of the water from jet pump. It's located in the back of the ski. As the jets always push water backwards(ski goes forward:) ) the bucket allows the driver to turn the flow under the jet(neutral) or even more to the front of the ski(reverse).
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a control mechanism to turn the flow under the jet? Why would one wish to reverse the flow under the jetski? Will this cause the ski to run in reverse?

I had to check if the 97 XP really didn't have reverse gate. I was starting to feel you're trying to fool me there :D I haven't seen a ski without reverse system except in pictures :) If the ski was equipped with reverse it has a 3-stage handlebar to select the F-N-R. Don't know if the most newest skis have it electrically operated or is it still a mechanical handle?

As the impeller is driven directly from pto with driveshaft without gearboxes and such, impeller can only spin in one way. So the neutral and reverse has to be arranged with controlling the direction of the waterflow from the pump. When you set the ski to neutral it in fact pushes the water straight downwards. My previous post was bit misguiding but you have to excuse me as english is not my first language :p Reverse pushes the bucket down even more and the water is flowing more to the bow of ski. Forward position is like a ski without reverse gate and bucket is in upward position, out of the way of jet pump waterflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back