I broke...my engine, crankshaft, etc etc

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

factory81

The guy that is fixing my boat said my engine is toast. Probably from going airborne with the boat.
The crankshaft actually broke right in half. The rotary valve casing (or is it cover?) is bad. A cylinder is bad, and the engine needs new casings? He said I could do an SBT but it would probably run me almost $2,000 if you factor in all the damage my core would have.

He said he has many of the parts I need around, but he doesn't have the casings and I think the rotary valve covers? He was going to make some calls and try and locate these parts local.

What is the cheapest way to get a new engine?

dude...SBT dont care about condition of what your sending in(to my knowledge), and if all that is bad, then SBT or Seadoowarehouse.com, way to roll...call both up, and ask...:cheers:
You were the "smoke out motor/exhaust" guy right? This is the conclusion, or have I missed a few threads??

I had cavitation from a neoprene seal, bad impeller, and bad jet pump seal.

Fixing this made the boat engine run like a champ. It was kicking butt left and right. Maybe too much butt. We actually had the boat airborne (you could definitely hear the engine out of the water). The guy said the most common reason these crankshafts bust in half is because the boat is airborne and we did have it airborne that morning.

I am not sure why there was smoke, but that problem was also fixed with the new seal and impeller.

The guy said the bad cylinder is for instance through SBT a $400+ added cost. Because it is such a problem I was told.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think we we're beating the boat up too much. But it was the first time I ever felt the boat performing top notch. So in the back of my head I want to think that because of this. The next weakest component in the boat was set to go. Which happened to cause a lot of problems.

no prob, stud..at least, after thsi, boat be brand new come next season. Pull the motor yourself, tear off the RV assy, exhaust, intake..so your familiar with everything, then when your new motor arrives, have idea how it works and install..etc, PLUS save some $$$ on install or let'n someone else do everything...:cheers:

Did parts go through the side of the engine? Even if the cylinder is damaged, as long as its not cracked apart it sounds like they wouldn't charge too much for it.....

This is from SBT's site:

SBT's only additional charge for an engine is for broken aluminum on your core (Welding or Replacement). This normally occurs when an engine throws a rod through the case. The additional charge is dependent on the size and location of the crack or hole. The core should be inspected for such damage before it is shipped to SBT.

Option #2: head over to ebay, $1195 including the core charge, then you don't have to send anything back in: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200253553535

I am going to call the guy fixing my boat. I am not repairing it as I cannot even balance my school / work week now.

I wish I had the time. It sounds like I will be working on this boat (weather I want to or not), more than I would care to. This could teach me alot.

HA
He said I have basically one good cylinder in my engine. Worth all of $100 maybe....
Rotary valve cover
Heads are all dinged up
One cylinder is all messed up
Casing
You name it....
Basically everything in the engine except....1 cylinder is bad.

I saw that engine there you posted. Should I just give him $1195 and no core and call it good?

The guy who worked on my boat had his 951 rebuilt from SBT and he had a bad cylinder in his Doo as well. He said SBT charged him a hefty penalty for his bad cylinder. He seemed to have the same opinion on my cylinders (very messed up).

I don't know anything about the guy, but no bad reviews, and it definitely many positive feedback from people buying the engines.

The only problem is that since it's not a big company, you don't know about a warranty... and if it blows up again 3 weeks after you put it in, you're in it for even more money...

So you'd have to take the chance.
If I was looking at $2000 for an SBT or $1200 for one from ebay, I would think about it this way:
$2000 and I have a warranty
or
1200 and I might have a warranty as long as the guy doesn't disappear (he's been on ebay for 8 years, so he's probably a good bet). And worst case the engine blows up and he has disappeared, I can still go to SBT with the ebay motor as a core for $800... and I'm right back at $2000 with a warranty again.

So I'd do ebay, I'm cheap. Someone else with more money than me would go SBT or would just dump the boat and buy a new '08

get an SBT motor. BUT buy core parts on ebay to replace the bad case, crank, and cylinder. used seadoo stuff is cheap this time of year. read SBT's core policy, or better yet, call them and ask. their core charges for non-rebuildable parts is high.

get an SBT motor. BUT buy core parts on ebay to replace the bad case, crank, and cylinder. used seadoo stuff is cheap this time of year. read SBT's core policy, or better yet, call them and ask. their core charges for non-rebuildable parts is high.
:agree: Very high on unuseable core replacement. :cheers:

Buy broken core parts on ebay, and send in old motor, than have it rebuilt...for the 2 year warranty.

And while a pontoon might be a nice party barge.....I still like boats even more after I see how boring and lame they are.

Oh the guy did say that my rods went as well. He didn't say if they were through the case or not....

Whats an SBT warranty like? What will it not cover?

For instance you think most tires carry some sort of warranty right? Well I have 20" rims with low profile tires, and I would think they must have a warranty....one went flat. Well they repair flats yeah, but there is no actual warranty on a Toyo 20" tire that is low profile because you assume the risk, and road hazards which are unavoidable (potholes, bumps, etc) are not covered.

So you can say my "warranty" I am sold is useless with these Toyo tires, is there any clause or portion of the SBT warranty that will make it so they do not have to cover my engine?

Whats an SBT warranty like? What will it not cover?

For instance you think most tires carry some sort of warranty right? Well I have 20" rims with low profile tires, and I would think they must have a warranty....one went flat. Well they repair flats yeah, but there is no actual warranty on a Toyo 20" tire that is low profile because you assume the risk, and road hazards which are unavoidable (potholes, bumps, etc) are not covered.

So you can say my "warranty" I am sold is useless with these Toyo tires, is there any clause or portion of the SBT warranty that will make it so they do not have to cover my engine?
From what I have been reading they cover every thing except physical abuse. Like if you got mad and took a sledge hamer to the engine and broke it to pieces than they may tell you that you are a tard and are not going to warenty it. Now if you run it out of oil they may think the same thing but may not say it out loud. From what I understand they will replace it and they probbly will advise you on what caused the failure so that you will fix the problem, so that they will not have to keep giving you free engines. :cheers:

Well it sounds like unless I get a warranty out of the fella fixing my boat I might get an SBT engine. I need to talk this over with the mechanic and see what he thinks. My goal is to actually go fishing in this boat still this year.

Remember the warranty is only as good as the company giving it. The shade mechanic down the street might stop working on seadoos, and your up a creek with no jetboat...:ack: :rofl:

Karl

G'day,
Just to back up what others have already said.
I purchased 2 old cores from ebay for $300 each, the guy dropped them into SBT for me and they sent the 2 exchange engines to australia for me. Total was $875 + $300= $1175 plus shipping. You dont want to know how much shipping to Oz was.:rofl:
That way you replace your motor cheaper and have SBT warranty, which is almost bullet proof from what i have heard and read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back