How to verify the seal/integrity of the "seal tubes" of the O.P.A.S. (off-power assisted steering)?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I recently acquired a 2008 Wake 215 Sea-Doo (GTX) and after changing just about all the rubber grommets and various sleeves that were cracked, as well as the jet pump housing and the bearing inside, I am finally ready to start the season.

However, after reassembling the whole thing, I was told that, for 2008 Sea-Doo, I must keep a careful eye on the Seal Tubes that are used in the O.P.A.S. (off-power assisted steering).

You can see part #10 in the following diagram: 2008 Sea-Doo WAKE 215 Off Power Assisted Steering | Fox Powersports Sea-Doo Partshouse

This tube links the O.P.A.S. side vane to the venturi which is linked to the handlebar. It goes through the hull, from one side to the center. If it cracks, water could enter in the hull and eventually sink the Sea-Doo.

I have the shop manual for my Sea-Doo, and it seems that removing those two seal tubes requires some work, including sealing silicone inside and outside each side of the hull to seal the screw holes. Given that I JUST reassembled everything with grease and sealant and Loctite this morning, I'd like to have an idea of their current state before taking on this task.

So, my question is: Is there a way to TEST/INSPECT those 2 seals for their integrity and know if they are leaking or not? Is it indeed frequent that they rupture/crack?

Thanks

Last edited:
To partially answer my own question, I noticed that with a light, I can see part of the tubes from hiside the hull. I also have a snake camera that allows me to inspect closer.

At first glance, the rubber doesn't seem old or cracked... but I was only able to inspect about 30% of the surface this was. I couldn't get my camera behind of under.

I really do not think I will disassemble everything just to look at this. But when it is in the water, I guess I could check see if water is entering the hull through there.

Just a thought, How about flooding the exterior area of a potential leak point with water from a garden hose to simulate operating conditions? Taking care not to cause unintended damage, of course.

I'm not intimate with this configuration but I've used this method in some cases.

Its a good suggestion. I plan to put it in the water and try to see with a flashlight if there is any water entering the hull.

I would have liked to be able to remove and inspect those 2 rubber tubes, to see if they are starting to crack or about to break but it seems that this involves quite a bit of trouble.

If anybody else has suggestions, I'm open to ideas.

PS: I really wonder how it is possible to add the silicon inside the hull.... it seems to reach there I would need to remove almost everything and even then, I'm not sure my arms are long enough to reach all the way toward the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back