How reliable our boats are today?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Toyextuh

Hi guys, I purchased a 99 seadoo speedster with twin 787s last year with some engine problems. Long story short, this year I went all out and had 2 new engines put in from a shop, new carb kits and new wear rings and some drive cables were changed, expecting to have it back in a couple weeks. Only until after I've spent money on repairs and the boat itself, everywhere I'm seeing on social media is to "stay away from older two stroke het boats." But if I had those all done, should be ok for some time? Seems like many of you still own these. Aside from the bad gas mileage and loudness, I know getting someone to fix or even finding parts for these are getting hard to find. How long are thse MPEMs good for? assuming I never jump the boat battery and would only trickle charge with the battery disconnected? I think these boats are fun and would like to keep it. Or should I just sell it and consider moving into a different boat? If I sell it, how much could I get out of it? New engines, carb kits, drive cables but seats needs reupholstery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230529_100540_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230529_100540_Chrome.jpg
    506 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20230529_101028_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230529_101028_Messages.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20230529_100428_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230529_100428_Chrome.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20230529_100525_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230529_100525_Chrome.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
You are fine, they are just as reliable as they have always been.

The problem is all the Facebook Idiots have no clue how to work on anything so if it isn't brand new it is "unreliable".

Agreed. I had a 96 challenger boat for 15 years and I never touched the engine, other than my yearly rave valve cleaning. I did all the fun stuff with it, pulling tubes and water skiing. Take care of it and do the recomended maintenance and it will provide years of fun.

We got our 96 Speedster in 98 and have used it in fresh and salt every year since.

Still original engines, just well serviced.

Kids know d!ck about anything.

The fun/ cost ratio is so much better with a rebuilt 2-stroke - you can also do a ton on them yourself if you have a bit of mechanical and reading capability. Some may argue the juice may not be worth the squeeze, but the juice you make is the sweetest ;)

I thikn the biggest issue is parts... supply chain. Not that things break any sooner, but its things like the MPEM, pump/PTO, carb kits, etc... less it seems on things like impellers and the motor itself

things to make them more reliable other than operator error are changing the hoses, put in a battery kill switch, keep on surplus things like rectifiers and wear rings.

Back