High end impellers....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoosnipe

Premium Member
Premium Member
I've been in the market for about a year now, looking for a pump mod that will increase my bottom end hole shot, while not losing any of my upper end performance.

I finally ordered one. I get email from many sites that I visit, as a mod, I like to stay informed for you, the members, in trying to find the best prices for our upgrades.

I just ordered a Solas Concord impeller from www.watercraftsuperstore.net because while shopping around, they had the best deals......along with free shipping!.......key word for me, "free shipping".

Depending on what you are looking for (and they have a support team to help you decide), you can find impellers starting as low as $149.00 dollars. They have other accessories but I did not look through them.

In my search, I looked at places like RIVA ($299), 4-tecperformance ($300+) and Impros along with a couple others. Parker Yamaha came close but most were still over $200 bucks and you footed the bill on shipping.

I will let all you guys know on when I get the impeller and you know, I'll surely be taking some pix of the difficulty level in changing this out.

Most know that I'm pretty much against modding our already high rev engines, so pump mods are the next best thing in increasing performance without jeopardizing the longevity of our Rotax motors.........:cheers:

Wow, what a great vacation! The only problem was, it seems to be over with before you ever really get started!

My daughters and I took the GTX up river for 3 days of roughing it, camping amongst the alligators. Truly, we only saw 3 or 4 and that was early morning.
The GTX has a lot of storage room up front. I was surprised on how much I could carry. We camped on a small sandy beach type area on the Alabama Tenn-Tom river system. It’s connected all the way up to the Great Lakes. We fished, swam, went tubing and spent a lot of time at the local fish camp. They had good food! Outside what would keep in an ice cooler, like sandwich meats and drinks, the food was limited as to what they cooked at the fish camp and our light provisions.

The speed and performance of the ski after replacing the fuel lines was unbelievable! And when I get home, guess what was waiting for me on the door step? My brand new Solas Concorde impeller. I was way too excited to what till next week, that I removed the pump and broke the impeller down. Total work time to get the pump off, oil drained, impeller removed…..oh, about 45 minutes. I don’t think I’ve mentioned it before but using a breaker bar on the impeller removal tool verses a ratchet is the best way to break the Loctite. There was 50 ml’s of oil in the pump and dark. There should have been about 89 ml’s. The good thing was no water intrusion. The bearing surfaces looked good so I probably won’t replace them just yet. Since the ski is over 10 years old, I’ll put that on my list of things to do in the off season (like we really have one!...) for this year.

I’ve attached a bunch of pix for ya’ll to see on the pump and impeller. The Concorde has almost the same progressive pitch but the design of the blades look like it’ll hook up faster and give me a few more mph on the top end. I’ll let ya’ll know the top speed once I have it all back together. I have another vacation scheduled for the 2nd week of August but unlike this one, where I didn’t come into the forum, I’ll be in daily. Probably much more than normal, since I plan to mostly sit around the house…..

Enjoy the pix and I’ll be getting back to work. I’m sure there are loads of threads I’ll be able to sink my teeth into…..It’s great to be back!

Attachments

• 50 mls of oil.JPG
    50 mls of oil.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Breaker bar.JPG
    Breaker bar.JPG
    362.5 KB · Views: 104
  • impellers compared.JPG
    impellers compared.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 156
  • new solas concord.JPG
    new solas concord.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Pump bearings.JPG
    Pump bearings.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Pump bearings 1.JPG
    Pump bearings 1.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 67
  • pump oil.JPG
    pump oil.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's August and ski is still in shop!

Well, when I got the Solas impeller, I was so excited that all I could see was getting it replaced and back in the water to see how much more speed I was gonna get. Well, that was back in July. Here it is August the 7th and I still don’t have the pump back on the ski.

After slowing down on the excitement, I started going over everything I needed to get the impeller back on the pump like I’m suppose to. After cleaning the shaft, I noticed the shiny ring around the inboard end was more of a cut groove than a shiny ring. Then, I cleaned all that burned oil out better so I could get a better look see to determine how bad of shape the bearings are. There is a visible set of double rings on the needle bearings and shaft for the inner bearing. So, what do I do now?

I assembled the impeller to the shaft and checked it for radial movement. There is some but it’s really, very minimal. I’m still going to order a bearing set and shaft from www.seadoowarehouse.com so I can be ready for the replacement. By the area I see of the worn bearing, it’s not going to seize up on me in the next month or so. Now,…..here’s where people make their worse mistake. It’s easier to just change out the shaft than the bearings, so they’ll buy a new shaft and replace it, leaving the old bearings in, since that requires pushing them out and putting in new ones according to specs. That’s intimidating to some. But, doing this does more harm than good. The shaft and bearings, at the moment, still make full contact with each other. Replacing just the shaft, now allows the bearing to only contact the shaft in the small area that was scored. Now, you’ve set yourself up for bearing failure. I looked as well as I could, rolling the needle with my small pick tools and using my mag glass and saw no true flat spots. The bearings wore because of a lack of oiling. So, I went ahead and re-assembled the entire pump and did the pressure test. It still holds the 10 psi. for 10 minutes.

I have not done a lot of research on the Seadoo brand pump oil, which is synthetic polyolestor, because I had several bottles. Well, now I’m out and have to buy more. Am I going to order or buy the “Seadoo” brand name stuff for umpteen bucks?.......no, of course not. I did the research on this and found cross reference to the synthetic polyolester oil and found it to be the same oil as the 75 w 90 GL Synthetic gear oil. I bought the Mobil brand. It’s about $12 bucks a liter.

So, I’ve attached a couple more pix. The camera so close up is blurry. I got to invest in a better camera that takes good close-ups. If you look closely, you can see the rings on the bearing shaft better then inside the clean hub. But, if you can use a photo shop program, you might be able to enlarge it to see the grooves in the needle bearings too. I also pasted a pix of my air test set up. It’s the same one used in all my air tests, just different fittings. The one for your jet pump, you can get from Lowe’s. In their tool section, they have an adapter set, with 4 parts to it. It costs about $3 bucks. One of the parts in the pack is used for blowing up basket balls. But, take your nose cone with you if you want to be sure. The adapter also has the barbed fitting for your air line………You'll notice on the last pix, the fitting. You'll also notice it you look close enough, I had an air leak there. It's identified by the soap bubbles......but, fixed and my pressure was good.........:cheers:

Attachments

• scored bearings.JPG
    scored bearings.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 58
  • scored shaft best.JPG
    scored shaft best.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Hooking up air test.JPG
    Hooking up air test.JPG
    413 KB · Views: 70
  • Holding 10 psi..JPG
    Holding 10 psi..JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 44
  • air leak at fitting.JPG
    air leak at fitting.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 56
Thanks to the Watercraft Superstore.

I'm new on this Forum and i just happened to read a thread that someone wrote about a problem i was having , in the thread they mentioned the Water Craft Super Store , WOW, that place has the BEST customer service i have ever experienced, i spoke with John there and i described my problem using my very limited SeaDoo Vocabulary and he did not hesitate to tell me what parts i needed AND how to install them.
Thank You Seadoofourm .com for having a place for newbies like me to go for help.:cheers:

Hey Seadoosnipe I was wondering how your Solas impeller replacement worked out for you? What pitch impeller did you end up going with, your putting it on a 787 GTX right? I'm new to this forum, and I'm sure glad that I found it! My 96 GTX has been one of the best machines that I have ever owned, but they all need some work sooner or later. I paid a local shop about $800 to replace my damaged impeller and wear ring a few years ago. A couple of weeks back I managed to suck up a rock and damge my impeller again. I did a little internet surfing and found this place, I purchased a complete jet pump from e-bay for $250 and with the help of this forum was able to do the replacement myself!! Thanks for all the good info you put on here. I now have a spare jet pump and was going to repair it for a spare, and the Solas impeller sounds like the way to go.
Thanks, Scott

Well, when I got the Solas impeller, I was so excited that all I could see was getting it replaced and back in the water to see how much more speed I was gonna get. Well, that was back in July. Here it is August the 7th and I still don’t have the pump back on the ski.

After slowing down on the excitement, I started going over everything I needed to get the impeller back on the pump like I’m suppose to. After cleaning the shaft, I noticed the shiny ring around the inboard end was more of a cut groove than a shiny ring. Then, I cleaned all that burned oil out better so I could get a better look see to determine how bad of shape the bearings are. There is a visible set of double rings on the needle bearings and shaft for the inner bearing. So, what do I do now?

I assembled the impeller to the shaft and checked it for radial movement. There is some but it’s really, very minimal. I’m still going to order a bearing set and shaft from www.seadoowarehouse.com so I can be ready for the replacement. By the area I see of the worn bearing, it’s not going to seize up on me in the next month or so. Now,…..here’s where people make their worse mistake. It’s easier to just change out the shaft than the bearings, so they’ll buy a new shaft and replace it, leaving the old bearings in, since that requires pushing them out and putting in new ones according to specs. That’s intimidating to some. But, doing this does more harm than good. The shaft and bearings, at the moment, still make full contact with each other. Replacing just the shaft, now allows the bearing to only contact the shaft in the small area that was scored. Now, you’ve set yourself up for bearing failure. I looked as well as I could, rolling the needle with my small pick tools and using my mag glass and saw no true flat spots. The bearings wore because of a lack of oiling. So, I went ahead and re-assembled the entire pump and did the pressure test. It still holds the 10 psi. for 10 minutes.

I have not done a lot of research on the Seadoo brand pump oil, which is synthetic polyolestor, because I had several bottles. Well, now I’m out and have to buy more. Am I going to order or buy the “Seadoo” brand name stuff for umpteen bucks?.......no, of course not. I did the research on this and found cross reference to the synthetic polyolester oil and found it to be the same oil as the 75 w 90 GL Synthetic gear oil. I bought the Mobil brand. It’s about $12 bucks a liter.

So, I’ve attached a couple more pix. The camera so close up is blurry. I got to invest in a better camera that takes good close-ups. If you look closely, you can see the rings on the bearing shaft better then inside the clean hub. But, if you can use a photo shop program, you might be able to enlarge it to see the grooves in the needle bearings too. I also pasted a pix of my air test set up. It’s the same one used in all my air tests, just different fittings. The one for your jet pump, you can get from Lowe’s. In their tool section, they have an adapter set, with 4 parts to it. It costs about $3 bucks. One of the parts in the pack is used for blowing up basket balls. But, take your nose cone with you if you want to be sure. The adapter also has the barbed fitting for your air line………You'll notice on the last pix, the fitting. You'll also notice it you look close enough, I had an air leak there. It's identified by the soap bubbles......but, fixed and my pressure was good.........:cheers:

Snipe,

Did you wind up replacing both shaft and bearings---as a pair? I am in the process of replacing my bearings, but my shaft looks somewhat similar to yours (hard to tell in the photo), maybe better. I am just having trouble justifying an additional 50 some odd bucks for the shaft when I am doing - wear ring, brearings, and a bearing rebuild kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back