Help! Need oil tank that's discontinued...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

althea102

In a newbie...so please tell me if I'm posting in the wrong area ;).

I have a '98 Challenger 1800 that's sitting at an "authorized" Seadoo dealer/repair shop, just waiting on me to provide them with an oil reservoir (OEM part 204550029) that has been discontinued and apparently more rare and harder to find than the Holy Grail.

On the 4th of July, our oil level sensor light came on, & when my husband docked to check, all 2 gallons of oil he put in a couple weeks earlier was sitting in the engine compartment :( The tank is toast (cracked). The mechanic said if we could "come up with the tank", or one that would fit/could be converted, he'd install it. It's the "coming up with one" that I'm havin' a problem with...

I guess I should mention, I know NOTHING about mechanical/boat issues, & my husband has basically washed his hands of the whole situation, since his vote was to throw a couple of sticks of Dynomite in the boat on the 4th & have our own special fireworks display...he says he's done throwing money into the d*** thing. So, here I am, trying my best to take charge of the problem and handle it myself...but ANY help or useful advice (keyword USEFUL...please, please no snarky comments or ridicule) would be more than appreciated!

Btw, 1st post...so, "Howdy, y'all"! :)

I would try ebay for a used tank OR post a WTB ad in the for sale section here for one. Does it look like this one? See link below.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEA-DOO-CHA..._Watercraft_Parts&hash=item2583e5a747&vxp=mtr

That is for a Mercury powered Challenger.

Here is one at a completely laughable price of $300. It does come with new oil lines and filters! That probably cost him $30.

This was based off the part# provided, and if I look at the OEM fiche it doesn't match up with the 96 part# so it still could be all wrong--buyer beware.. Perhaps one of the members here has one, so as mentioned, post in the wanted ads.

Can you physically see the crack? If not, it could just need some new grommets for the oil lines where they exit the tank, possibly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-Seadoo-S..._Watercraft_Parts&hash=item339133840b&vxp=mtr

Ahh ok, didn't see that. I saw that one for $300 that's insane. I went ahead and sent him a message asking if it was lined with gold or silver. LOL
As Racer said, can you see the crack? OR maybe the fitting just fell out and needs a new rubber bushing. If its cracked I would try heating it up with a hot iron and patching the crack for a temp hold. They make some sealants that are oil resistant as well. OR convert to premix ;)

300 nutz I just get a plastic container, drill the holes required and use some connections that I could epoxy and connect.

Nick's brother in Texas deals with boat parts. Calling Jess ....sorry wrong ID its [MENTION=46279]99spxxx[/MENTION]
or call him at 813-363-9074, tell him you are a member of this forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back