HELP!!! GTX RFI Oil Dumped and Bilge Filled with Water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakebrews

Had the ski out for the third time this year. Always sure there is oil in the reservoir and the drain plugs in when I go out. It was early in the morning so the water was like glass. I rode it at no more than 3/4 throttle for about 20 minutes down a river when suddenly it sputters. I lay off the throttle and it sputters out and dies, and smoke comes pouring out of it under the seats and the front. By the time I got it to a dock (maybe 10 minutes of rowing) I pulled the seats and the bilge was filled with water almost over the battery. The water was covered in the oil from the reservoir and the reservoir was empty.

By the time I got it home and pulled the spark plugs and ran the starter, there was no water in the cylinders, and no evidence of water in the air box so I don't think it ingested any water. I don't know where to start to look and figure this out. I understand these have a tendency to lose oil due to the plastic reservoir so I will check that first but not sure why it would completely dump the entire reservoir like that. Does anyone know if these two situations (water in the bilge and the oil loss) could be related or was this an unfortunate coincidence.

Any ideas on where to start looking?

They should not be related. I would check the small oil lines from the oil pump to the intake and the oil tank.

I appreciate your input mikidymac. I'm hoping someone with more experience than me can help me shed some light on things to look for.

Got any ideas on the water issue? Do you think it's possible the oil being drained could have overheated the engine and caused a water line break or something else of that nature? My problem with that thought is the mpem should have thrown a code and alerted me if it was overheating right?

The oil tank could suddenly empty if you had a line pop off/break at the engine case, the part where it connects down low going to the rotary valve shaft. I'd check this area.

Did your exhaust overheat? Did any exhaust hoses come loose or melt? We need more information. Find out where the water is coming from.

Chester

I think I found what caused both problems. Part #13 from the oil injection part diagram was at some point resting on the head pipe and melted through the hose allowing all the oil to dump. Along with that, part #12 from the cooling system part diagram was also resting on the head pipe and looks to have a small hole in the melted section of the hose. I imagine that along with the grime in the ski, the bailing system clogged up or couldn't keep up with the water being introduced by the time I found out about this. Now I wonder if I can replace these hoses without taking the air box out and the head pipe..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back