HELP - Challenger 2000 (2001)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt911fire

I purchased this boat last summer as a bit of a project. I knew it needed a wear ring and impeller. I called a dealer in the are I purchased (6hrs from where I live) and asked about getting it compression tested and they said it wouldn’t be necessary. Being a new guy I went with it.

We did take the boat for a test drive but were only getting speeds of around 31 mph. The boat owner assured me this was due to the impeller and wear ring issue. The RPM’s would hang out around 5-5200. When I got the boat home I started to do basic maintenance and found out the compression was low on two cylinders.

At this time it also became obvious that the motor had been rebuilt in the past. After deliberation with my mechanic I decided I would run the boat for the rest of the summer and fix it over the winter months as it was running fine, but far from optimum.

I tried to find a dealer that would work on this engine in my area (New Brunswick Ca) and I got forwarded to a Mercury dealer. They were going to sub it out to a local guy. So I decided to let my mechanic tackle it. He has worked on several two stroke engines over the years.

Over the winter months the wear ring was sleeved with stainless steel, the impeller was replaced and a motor job was undertaken. Everything seemed great. The boat starts like a charm in the garage. Runs fine.

This is where the problem begins. I put it in the water and it won’t start. I pull it out of the water and after some cranking it starts. I ultimately got it started out of the water and backed it in while giving it some throttle and it stayed running. I took it for a test ride and its capping out at 4000 rpm and about 5 mph.

It ran for 15 minutes or so like this. Pull into the dock and shut it off. Will NOT restart. Take it home and put it in the garage and it will start 20 times on a water hose.

My mechanic has tried to adjust the timing and we have adjusted everything we know, yet to no avail. I ended up taking it to a Sea-Doo dealer in the area as they assured me they could work on it but I am finding out they don’t know any more about it than I do.

They did say the spark plugs were very wet when they pulled them but that could be from us trying to get it started the last time I had it out. They also said one spark plug was closed on the middle passenger side. They gapped it and everything is staying fine now.

They have tightened all the throttle linkage as we had loosened it to be able to get it to start at the water. They had it running in garage as well but won’t start on the water.

Also after pulling it out of the water it doesn’t necessarily start right up. You may have to play with the throttle a little.

I added 3 litres of oil to the fuel as recommended in the manual.

Any help would be appreciated as we only have about 2 months of summer in the north east and one is almost gone. Haha

My kids are scratching to get it in the water, as am I!

Thank you

Well.. the first problem is taking to someone else to work on it. All it does is cost more $$$ and doesn't solve the issues. Seadoo dealers have never been able to work on these... and since the break-up of the 2 companies (mercury/BRP) they have actually been told to not touch them, and they can't get the parts. So don't bother there. Any Merc dealer should be able to work on it. It's basically the same engine that the outboard engines have used since the mid 90's. But since they are busy during the summer... they generally don't want to and give some BS about it being a Seadoo.

OK... since you didn't do the work, and it's not running... we need to check a few things first.

BUT..........

Before we can help... what engine exactly do you have?

Well.. the first problem is taking to someone else to work on it. All it does is cost more $$$ and doesn't solve the issues. Seadoo dealers have never been able to work on these... and since the break-up of the 2 companies (mercury/BRP) they have actually been told to not touch them, and they can't get the parts. So don't bother there. Any Merc dealer should be able to work on it. It's basically the same engine that the outboard engines have used since the mid 90's. But since they are busy during the summer... they generally don't want to and give some BS about it being a Seadoo.

OK... since you didn't do the work, and it's not running... we need to check a few things first.

BUT..........

Before we can help... what engine exactly do you have?

Mercury M2 240efi jet drive

Ok... I'll assume it's a Gen1 engine since it's a 2001.

So...

1) Check compression on all 6 cyl's
2) Check for spark on all 6 cyl's
3) Check fuel pressure.

Let's start there... and then move forward if it's all OK.

Ok... I'll assume it's a Gen1 engine since it's a 2001.

So...

1) Check compression on all 6 cyl's
2) Check for spark on all 6 cyl's
3) Check fuel pressure.

Let's start there... and then move forward if it's all OK.

Not sure. Here is the serial # if that helps.

Serial # 0E385911

I’m getting a compression check on Monday morning. I’ll see if he can check fuel pressure as well.

Thanks

Ouch... sorry to hear that. But... take the heads off, and look inside. If the pistons are OK... maybe you just cracked a couple rings. If that happened... then you may be able to fix it without it getting too expensive.

Ouch... sorry to hear that. But... take the heads off, and look inside. If the pistons are OK... maybe you just cracked a couple rings. If that happened... then you may be able to fix it without it getting too expensive.

The boat hasn’t run right since doing all the rings and replacing two pistons this winter. This wasn’t one of the new pistons. Spoke to my mechanic this afternoon and he’s hoping only the spring on that piston is stuck. ‍♂️

Gonna take a look at it later in the week. Is there a reason why the springs could be sticking? He plans to pull the head and take a look.

Pulled he head and the edge of the piston is broke off. I’m ordering four new pistons as I already replaced the other two this winter.

Ouch. Busted pistons are never good. BUT... you may get away with honing the Cyl's, and replacing the pistons.

Ouch. Busted pistons are never good. BUT... you may get away with honing the Cyl's, and replacing the pistons.

Ok. I know this post is old.

To make my long story short. I replaced the pistons and several of the head bolts were stripped. This allowed water into the cylinder and bent my crank.

So. Looks like I’m out a motor. One of the pistons came back and broke a piece out of the block. IMG_0945.JPG

Wondering what you suggest. Do I buy a rebuilt off eBay? Looks like they are running around $4k+

Can I buy a crank shaft and head?

Been trying to get this boat running for two summers. :-(

Is their any other option for motors that will work? Saw some chatter about going to 4 stroke in a thread last year.

Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back