HELP CARBON SEAL

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RENEDUCE

I have 2008 sea doo challenger, never had any issues until my carbon seal went bad last year. I have now replaced it two times and it just went bad again. Does anyone have any idea why this keeps happening? Thanks

My only guess, is that the motor is out of alignment with the pump. Actually, if you can dig your way down there, you will see the static alignment, the carbon ring, with the opposing stainless sleeve, should be against each other almost within a mm if the circumference. I assume the bellows are secure, and there are no cracks in the bellow, or, perhaps, the bellow has lost its expansion push against the steel sleeve. A misaligned motor (over time ), often can be the culprit.

In my opinion, a perfectly aligned and never abused carbon seal won’t ever need replacing. You may have a broken motor mount or other alignment issue that happened last year. Or, perhaps a driveshaft that is not perfect;y straight.

Did anything happen last year, or the year before that could have hurt the motor mounts or driveshaft?

I just rebuilt a my 2006 SCIC engine (never owned a jetboat before). I'm taking on water, or spraying it.. from some place. I suspect its from the new Carbon ring as well. Funny thing is, up here on Lake Superior all the one dealer and other repair places do not advocate alignment at all. "Ah just put it back in the way it came out".

I was in a rush to hit the last weekend of the summer looking for a less expesive option than the $US200+ alignment rig, brought the ground rod and sleeve from Ohio, but made the mistake of buying the wrong size rod. That was $57 I could have put toward the right tool for the job... in my defence the ligament jig was out of stock...

Anyone got one for sale? :)

Panther is right, for that kind of repeated failure, the motor is out of alignment, a motor mount is loosening, a mount is broken, or the drive shaft is bent. Sometimes you can see a bent drive shaft while it's on the trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back