HELP boat died. 2003 250 optimax

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

123indyrt

Boat has been running great. Wide open throttle I felt the engine start to miss a little bit. Realizing that's not normal I cut the throttle. Made sure there was no water in the engine bay... Took off at half throttle to cross a channel and went to lunch.. wasn't missing at that point. Went to take off it cut out. It fired one more time and was dead from there.

Pulled one plug and there seems to be spark. Maybe light... I tried starting fluid. No luck.k.. tested fuel pressure.. 80psi both sides but the weird part is the right bank has air not fuel ???

Last edited:
Greetings sir,
Not a direct answer to you issue but a suggestion. Take a look at the company Rinda Technologies. They make the Diacom diagnostic kit. I bought the software and the adapters for the Mercury Marine (2004 Utopia 205) and Volvo Penta (2006 Monterey 302) since I have both boats. I've used it on both motors. It is a must have for these boats with ECU and sensors since it's very difficult to troubleshoot without it. There may be other diagnostic tools available that others can suggest but this one was pretty simple to use. You can install it on a old laptop running Windows 10 PC, meaning it needs a USB port and doesn't require much CPU speed. The reason why I purchased is that if you take your boat to the shop, this is the first thing they do. There were only a few shops around in the MD area that had the software and they charge $300 just for the diagnosis. You can see if you used it a couple of times it pays for itself. Hope this helps.

Greetings sir,
Not a direct answer to you issue but a suggestion. Take a look at the company Rinda Technologies. They make the Diacom diagnostic kit. I bought the software and the adapters for the Mercury Marine (2004 Utopia 205) and Volvo Penta (2006 Monterey 302) since I have both boats. I've used it on both motors. It is a must have for these boats with ECU and sensors since it's very difficult to troubleshoot without it. There may be other diagnostic tools available that others can suggest but this one was pretty simple to use. You can install it on a old laptop running Windows 10 PC, meaning it needs a USB port and doesn't require much CPU speed. The reason why I purchased is that if you take your boat to the shop, this is the first thing they do. There were only a few shops around in the MD area that had the software and they charge $300 just for the diagnosis. You can see if you used it a couple of times it pays for itself. Hope this helps.
Thank you. I'll look into it

Boat has been running great. Wide open throttle I felt the engine start to miss a little bit. Realizing that's not normal I cut the throttle. Made sure there was no water in the engine bay... Took off at half throttle to cross a channel and went to lunch.. wasn't missing at that point. Went to take off it cut out. It fired one more time and was dead from there.

Pulled one plug and there seems to be spark. Maybe light... I tried starting fluid. No luck.k.. tested fuel pressure.. 80psi both sides but the weird part is the right bank has air not fuel ???
HELP!!

Back