Hello from New PWC owner in Central Florida

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanflorida

I have 2 wonderful kids and access to a beautiful clean lake in my neighborhood, so, finally picked up a couple of seadoos. Bought a '96 GTX and a '97 GTX from a guy on craigslist, learned a couple things quickly "the hard way", but, that's OK, have had them out on the lake and the joy on my kids faces while they are tubing is worth 1,000,000X every dollar that I overpaid, etc...I only wish I took the plunge earlier.

The '96 wouldn't start, no spark. After troubleshooting, ended up needing a Stator, that was a little above my comfort level for a first repair, so I paid a guy $350 (parts and labor) to put one in. How does that price sound - Fair, I hope. That's all I want from anyone, just be fair. I understand people should be able to make a profit when they do work. Now it starts and runs, but pretty sure it "cavitates", ie, it does not "get up and go" very well. Once its moving a little, it seems to hit its stride and planes out, and its plenty fast for a newbie like me. From reading, it seems my first order of business may be to replace the wear ring, and while I am at it, the oil inside the cone? I also understand there is a replacement cone that maybe I should look at as a replacement, one with a teflon disk and spring or something like that, which maybe makes the ski quieter?

I have found these forums to be incredibly beneficial for many things, and I am looking forward to learning and sharing in the future!

Congrats on the purchase, in the end, all that matters is your happines.. Probably a wear ring issue from the sounds of it. If the engine REVs up but you don't really get going relative to the RPMs, then you are slipping somewhere. Driveshafts fail also, but wear rings and impellers are normally the first place to loolk. You can't hurt yourself changing the cone oil. The newer style cone is fine to put on. Some say it makes a difference and others say they couldn't tell. Welcome aboard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back