Hello from Lake Havasu

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

johng99

Hi Everyone, and thanks for letting me join the forum.

I have a '98 GTS with the 717 that had been passed around the family for many, many years. Mostly in storage, I doubt if it has 50 hours on it. I am trying to resurrect it, and it would start, but bog down terribly in the water under load. So, my first thought was carb, and after search the web for info. found this site. And it is here that I found out about grey Tempo fuel lines. So my project scope has expanded, and I have cleaned the fuel tank, all grey lines have been replaced, selector switch cleaned. I will be installing a new carb this coming week and am studying this site for all relevant info. You all have been very helpful.

Welcome to the best SeaDoo forum; a real wealth of information on this site and a lot of great talent and friendly members.

I also have a 98 GTS; my first SeaDoo acquisition that is sitting out back among the herd with a frozen engine waiting to bubble up on the priority list ... was very cheap tho.

The carb may just need to be cleaned out and tested; just need a tool for checking pop-off. The filter inside the carb tends to be crudded up.

You definitely do not want to be running it before cleaning out the fuel system; lean running results in blown engine.

You also probably should go thru the oil injection system: replacing small oil lines from injection pump to RV cover, and the oil filter. If you do not know what oil is in it you probably should replace it; mineral oil will work fine, just make sure it is for PWC (definitely do not use 2-stroke outboard oil).

Start a thread if you got problems, someone will jump in and help you out.

Welcome Havasu friend! Crazy Horse camp ground, London Bridge and Kokomos., love that place. On your 717 did you check internal carb filters?

Welcome Havasu friend! Crazy Horse camp ground, London Bridge and Kokomos., love that place. On your 717 did you check internal carb filters?

Hello,
and yes, I have gone through the entire fuel system. It was a mess - green gel everywhere, needle valve sticking, etc. I just finished putting her back together and fired her up. I used the Saran Wrap suggestion on the flame arrestor to create suction, added fuel to the fuel filter, and after a few cranks she fired up! The idle is higher than before out of the water, and I am waiting for delivery of a tach today to check rpm out of the water. I would like to have an out or water/in water comparison.

I did not drain the oil lines, but I did pump out the old oil and filled the tank with new. In hindsight, I should have serviced the oil system, but right now I just really wanted to see if she would run at all! The oil system lines and filter, plus the pump oil change are coming up soon.

And yes, I am enjoying Havasu very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back