Hawk Eye Depth Finder

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nwtrevrider

Hey this is one of my first posts here. I have read a lot of the info here and it is all great. My question relates to the Hawk Eye depth finder; the unit I purchased requires drilling a 2" hole in the hull of my boat. I am wondering, have any of you used this transducer? Should I return the unit for the one that glues inside the hull? I know there is a detailed thread on that one already. Please share any thoughts/experience on this!! Hope all of you are well, Jeremy.

Although manufacturers drill holes in the hull all the time, I would be very nervous about putting a two inch hole in my hull. If done properly it should not have any problems with leaking, but to each his own.

If you do go the Drill method, make sure you at least get one that does more than just the depth (like water temp), as glue in will do that for you with no hole in the hull.

Aaron:cheers:

I too bought the same depth finder you have but got spooked about drilling a 2 inch hole in the bottom of my boat after talking to friends and reading post on here. I sent it back for the outside transducer. So far its works awesome and it wasn't hard to install just follow the instruction. I wanted the water temp feature and I don't think the glue type offers that. If ya got it from eBay they will exchange it for ya just call them and let them know you want to exchange it. Here are some pics of mine :cheers:

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

I contacted the company and they have been great; they will exchange my unit for the in hull transducer no problems. Sure I won't have the water temp sensor but where I live you know the water is always cold!! lol have a good weekend.

D10DX-01
In-Dash Digital Depth Sounder With Air And Water Temp And Transom Mount Transducer With Temp. Works Great!!!

What is the best way to run the wires from the dash to the back? I have 02 Challenger 1800.Could you give me some directions?Thanks.

I have a 2006 Sportster 4-Tech and will like to intall a depth finder but where on my dashboard (console)? I don't have space for the 2" gauge that is flat enough. All flat spots have been taken by the factory gauges. Any recommendations guys? Tx :)

Zonic, I have the same problem with my 05 dash. Rookie 101 pm'd me with some pictures of his install on his Utopia.He found a pod to mount the guage into and just mounted the pod beside the guage cluster.It looks great!
Maybe he'll chime in and post you a picture,I would foward his pictures if I knew how. The pod is from Norcross Marine(same as the Hawkeye)
item # 270235583090 ,part # 1000-10 :cheers:

What is the best way to run the wires from the dash to the back? I have 02 Challenger 1800.Could you give me some directions?Thanks.

I hooked up to the fuel gauge that's where I get my power. Ran the wires next to the other wires that go back to the engine compartment but free from the steering cable. I used a wire rod my neighbor had so it was simple. :)

Hey Zonic,
I have the 2006 Sporster too and was able to mount my Uniden Depth finder in a 'blank' gauge just above the wheel. No drilling required. I have a post on this already (photos are there too) about installing removing the blank gauge and installing the new depth finder. Was easy as pie.

I have the in-hull transducer and managed to find an excellent location to mount it while I was out on the bay today - as KustomKarl suggested is his excellent post, one should test out various locations on the hull to make sure the locaiton will work. If you have the epoxy type transducer, you will only be able to install it once, and if it isn't the right spot, then :ack:.

My Uniden transducer doesn't use epoxy, but rather silicone instead. I'll be updating my post shortly with the photos of the transducer location, so you should check that post out in a day or two to get the new photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding "who me"s post regarding running the wires... I don't have a Challenger, but I figure it can't be much different than my Sportster. Under the dash console, it should be easy to find the other electrical wires that go from the dash gauges/switches back to the engine compartment. These run along the side of the boat and on my Sportster there is only a few feet of wire to run. I used a coathanger (the second greatest tool next to duct tape) to fish the transducer wires along the inside of the boat and back to the engine compartment. I can post some photos of mine if you can't find the other guage wires on your Challenger.

I have a 2006 Sportster 4-Tech and will like to intall a depth finder but where on my dashboard (console)? I don't have space for the 2" gauge that is flat enough. All flat spots have been taken by the factory gauges. Any recommendations guys? Tx :)

Here is the gauge pod that Lee was referring to.

Aaron:cheers:

Attachments

• Gauges_003.jpg
    Gauges_003.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 133
That gauge pod (from the '05 Challenger???) looks very different than my '06 Sportster. Here is where I mounted mine (and the gauge blank that I removed). Pretty simple (I guess I was lucky).

Attachments

• B-Blank.jpg
    B-Blank.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 128
Regarding "who me"s post regarding running the wires... I don't have a Challenger, but I figure it can't be much different than my Sportster. Under the dash console, it should be easy to find the other electrical wires that go from the dash gauges/switches back to the engine compartment. These run along the side of the boat and on my Sportster there is only a few feet of wire to run. I used a coathanger (the second greatest tool next to duct tape) to fish the transducer wires along the inside of the boat and back to the engine compartment. I can post some photos of mine if you can't find the other guage wires on your Challenger.

I would appreciated if you could post some of the pics.

I would appreciated if you could post some of the pics.

This is what I did. Pretty simple to run the cables - piece of cake.

Pic 1 shows an overview where I ran my wires (including where I hooked up to power and ground). Pic 2 shows inside the dash - I fished the transducer wires beside the conduit that is just above junction labeled 1 and 3. You should be able to pick up power (purple wires) and ground (black wires) in this area too, no problem. Pic 3 shows inside the engine compartment where that same conduit comes out - right beside junction labeled #5. Hope this is obvious.

Attachments

• transducer wires.jpg
    transducer wires.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 148
  • inside_dash.jpg
    inside_dash.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 151
  • inside_engine_compartment.jpg
    inside_engine_compartment.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 163
This is what I did. Pretty simple to run the cables - piece of cake.

Pic 1 shows an overview where I ran my wires (including where I hooked up to power and ground). Pic 2 shows inside the dash - I fished the transducer wires beside the conduit that is just above junction labeled 1 and 3. You should be able to pick up power (purple wires) and ground (black wires) in this area too, no problem. Pic 3 shows inside the engine compartment where that same conduit comes out - right beside junction labeled #5. Hope this is obvious.

Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back