Hatin on Gauges

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm glad the group is talking about cuz I need some guru help. :) I dislike SeaDoo gauges cuz they are so much smarter than me and I am not a replace parts kinda guy. I like to know "why." Currently I am or will be trying to get the Gauges on a 1999 GTX RFI to work. I will be starting on this next week. Problem is... there is only one BIG plug that goes into the MPEM area. If something isn't coming out of there the MPEM Is likely to blame. I can see someone made connections on both instruments so I purchased 2 used gauges. They look to be in very good condition. When I plug the harness in I am getting beeps from somewhere that sounds like inside the MPEM. I even had my wife listen and search the ski. :) She hears much better than I do. I'm getting no response from the gauges. I even started the ski and the gauges are not coming on. I am thinking the someone tinkering with the gauges previously blew out something in the MPEM. I have read posts by knowledgeable members on gauge problems so hopefully someone will give me some input. If it is blown up.... that's OK. At least I can move on. Help would be appreciated.

Though people provide you guidance and help all the time, you don't seem to report back what you found out. You asked about this gauge problem last week on another thread...

The gauges are linked with power coming from the MPEM, test the power on that wire, look at a schematic to figure out which wire, should be purple/blk from what I remember. Or since you have a couple other GTX's, swap the gauges over and see if they work. Narrow it down, you bought another pair of gauges off ebay, so it's likely the MPEM if those aren't working either. Check all fuses...instead of wanting to know 'why' all the time just fix it. Bust the multi meter out and start checking things...

Please stop saying you hope someone will give you input, because you're getting it, but you're not following it.

Please stop saying you hope someone will give you input, because you're getting it, but you're not following it.

Well the fact that you don't know a whole lot about jet skis might have something to do with me ignoring your suggestions. That and the fact that you are hostile and condescending.... is enough reason for me not to respond at all. If you knew anything at all, you'd know the gauges on the RFI are different than the other GTXs and even the 96 and 97 GTXs have different gauges year to year. That knowledge and 2 bucks would get me a beer. So telling me to get a schematic and check power is like ummmm.... less than remedial. I'm kinda tired of you jumping my azz, so my next step is putting you on my ignore list. Merry Christmas. :D

Last edited:
Well the fact that you don't know a whole lot about jet skis might have something to do with me ignoring your suggestions. That and the fact that you are hostile and condescending.... is enough reason for me not to respond at all. If you knew anything at all, you'd know the gauges on the RFI are different than the other GTXs and even the 96 and 97 GTXs have different gauges year to year. That knowledge and 2 bucks would get me a beer. So telling me to get a schematic and check power is like ummmm.... less than remedial. I'm kinda tired of you jumping my azz, Also, I just bought another jet ski and a trailer for $500 and I'm gonna sell it for around $1800 to $2k. You can whine about that also. :D:D Merry Christmas.

Um no, the gauges may have some differences but GTX's gauges are wired the same from 96' to 00', don't believe me go look at a wiring schematic. You seem to need remedial guidance, I mean you bought another set of gauges and still don't know where the issue is.

Second, this isn't a pissing match on who knows more or not, you're the one asking questions and wanting help. I try to provide it, and just like on the FB forum from other members on there you continue to ignore it.

I could care less what you make on your skis, I'm here to help, it's not a money making venture for me.

I'm living large this week and out of town so I am not working on the RFI. I am finding there are a lot of jet skis in Florida for sale. :) I may well pick one up on my way back from visiting the mouse. There are a couple of interesting prospects. Yes Yes.... I will be careful not to buy a "salt water turd." :D :D I also found another GTX RFI for sale. Maybe the gauges work and it would be a good test platform. I'll post up when I get things figured out one way or the other. In the meantime.... if anyone has the skinny on the gauges on the RFI... I'd be happy to hear from you. I realize this is not something most people mess with. Merry Christmas all !!

Wrong again junior. But really.... don't go away mad... just go away.

Wrong what? The gauges are still wired the same.... compass, ambient air, speed o, tach, all of it the same wiring color codes. I can't tell if you're playing around or not, it's really not that difficult to figure out if you can read a wiring schematic and use a multi meter. But good luck figuring it out Gene.....

Last edited:
Someone said it's not a pissing match but it seems as if the back and forth confirms that it is in fact a pissing match.

Could we let this situation end. He is officially on my ignore list and I'd like to get back to the topic of my thread. Jet Ski gauges.

I read in the Manual that on an RFI a problem with the info gauge can cause the engine to run rough. That information is in the troubleshooting section I believe. When I get home I will begin tracing wires and cleaning the connectors.. I had to purchase a special tool to remove the connectors . I bought several packs of these small tools from Amazon hoping to get the correct tool. I seem to have every pin removal from several automobile manufacturers and luckily... the one I needed was in the group. Whew. :)

The cool thing is that I believe that tool solved the problem I've been having with my personal GTX. I have a battery disconnect on both GTXs. And when I'd engage the battery and insert the key in the DESS post the ski would do nothing. Generally this happened after the ski sat a few days or weeks. Then, as I left the battery switch "ON" for a time, perhaps 10 minutes, everything would work... except the beeper. :) It was weird. What I found was that One of the plug connectors coming off the DESS had an issue that I could not see without removing the plug. Every time I checked voltage it was correct. Gotta pull those pins and have a look... clean them up and that can solve an intermittent problem for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back