GTX- won't go over 5500 rpms

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pwgsx

1997 gtx with perfect 150 compression. Changed fuel lines, oil lines, cleaned fuel filter, new fuel selector valve, rebuilt carbs with oem kits and set carbs to oem spec. Pop off dead on to oem spec. Here is the issue, it idled great in the water, rpms are steady. When you give it gas it takes of kinda slow but picks up speed but tops out at 5500 rpms at wot. Rpms are constant and don't jump around at all, they just stay at 5500 or around there. If you pump the throttle it sometimes will increase a bit but still not peak rpms. If you pull the choke at all during riding, it floods and wants to die so I know it's not lean. Any ideas what the issue is?

I'm stumped as this is my 3rd gtx that I have worked on and the only one giving me issues like this.

I'm struggling with my 96 gtx. One problem I had in past was the butterfly valves were not fully opening causing a low Rpm condition . Make sure they are opening all the way and you are getting full throttle.

Throttle is opening all the way so I know its not that. I plan to run with the seat off to see of anything changes ( exhaust leak ). Next I was told to remove rave caps and springs and run the ski. Hold one valve down to get on plane and then let it go. This should increase rpms with both up and uncapped. If not, I should purchase the new style rave valves with the slots on them. The other thing to do is get up to peak rpms and pinch the water line from water reg to pipe. If rpms go higher the water reg is bad. Hope to test this stuff tonight after work or Thur.

So here is what I found, water valve clamp rusted away and top clamp off so it wasn't working. Got it back together and went to the lake. If you give it full throttle and hold it there, the ski jumps right up to 5000 rpm and stays there maybe 2 seconds and then takes off to full rpm. I hit 64 on the dream meter. If you let go of throttle and before it comes back to idle and you gas it again it has no hesitation and goes full speed. I was doing 360s and all and as long as I didn't let it go back to idle it would take off like a rocket. If it was at idle and I pinned the throttle it would hesitate right at the 5000 mark and I released the throttle and pinned it again it would take off to full Rpms.

The water valve had 3 washers on top of the black cap and red cap adjuster is set flush to the top. Is that correct?

I used genuine mikuni kits and kept stock springs.
Thanks for the help thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back