GTX Balance Shaft Seas

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hey guys, I have to replace all wear items on the Balance Shaft. Is it going to be an issue removing the replacing the balance counterweight? I am also looking at the bearings, one is a sealed bearing the other is not. Is that simply the only difference? I am curious as to what I am getting into on this. :)

I've never done more than replace bearings. Cruious how you do this. Take careful measurements and/or scribe marks to get it back into alignment. Taking pictures Before might help with a good After.

I was wondering if the counterweights are on a spline or a key maintains the position on the shaft. If not... the item is a throw away for me.

you have to have a press first and foremost..
scribing a line is pretty much a requirement (951, 787 this is n/a)
you'll also have to have a brass hammer to fine tune the alignment
You also need to be sure to check runout when completed, to make sure it's dead straight.

Or send it to me, i'll throw in new Nachi bearings and seals for $85 with free return shipping. I offer this as a service, and do a few a week.. mainly through recommendations from Fullbore.

I have done a few too. Harbor Freight 20 ton press and just make alignment marks before you start as the counterweight is not keyed or splined. I ordered all the bearings from PWC Muscle @hfgreg

Dang that seems like a lot of work. No wonder the seals don't always get replaced.

you have to have a press first and foremost..
scribing a line is pretty much a requirement (951, 787 this is n/a)
you'll also have to have a brass hammer to fine tune the alignment
You also need to be sure to check runout when completed, to make sure it's dead straight.

Or send it to me, i'll throw in new Nachi bearings and seals for $85 with free return shipping. I offer this as a service, and do a few a week.. mainly through recommendations from Fullbore.

I pulled the bearings off the shaft today but did not want to mess with the counterweight. I'd feel better if I replaced the seals. I have resources for bearings and the seals are in the full gasket set I ordered but has not arrived yet. I will look at this tomorrow. Thanks.

What are those seals even for? Does the balance shaft connect the two cylinder chambers?

No. The CB is only open to the rear cylinder.
The seals for the 787 do have a few purposes, primary compression on the rear cylinder, total crankcase volume.
For the 951 carb, keeps CB oil in the CB gear cavity.
On 951 DI, there's three.. two of them keep CB oil in the CB gear cavity, and one keeps the oil feed to the compressor from bleeding into the CB cavity.

On a 787 it also keeps any water out of the front balancer bearing if you flood the engine.

I suppose one could get away with not replacing the seals with new. Mine feel good but I prefer to replace them and that is my plan. Do it right the first time. :D :D

I found marking the weight very well for orientation and depth was very helpful. Also heating the weight and freezing the shaft made it go on much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back