Gel coat repair. Help?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

O-E

Anyone have any tips how to fix this. No clue how or when it happened. Small hole and it is Spidering pretty good.

Attachments

• 1569EB92-ABD1-40E0-8399-56933AB949C7.jpeg
    1569EB92-ABD1-40E0-8399-56933AB949C7.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 68
That's probably going to need to be sanded down and regelcoated. I think a reputable shop could do it for a couple of hundred. Or you could do it yourself with a kit from Spectrumcolor.com or iboats.com

I used the Evercoat kit to repair a deep scratch down to fiberglass on mine. Pretty simple overall. It's difficult to get a perfect color match, but not too hard to get it close enough that only you will notice. I just followed the instructions in the kit and watched a couple of Youtube videos.

I sanded it down and the fiberglass was weak soaked almost in the shape of a bolt.lots of water was dripping. Its calmed down a bit now. Letting it dry a bit before gel coating. Does it need to be perfectly dry to apply the paste ?

I sanded it down and the fiberglass was weak soaked almost in the shape of a bolt.lots of water was dripping. Its calmed down a bit now. Letting it dry a bit before gel coating. Does it need to be perfectly dry to apply the paste ?

Yes it needs to be completely dry before you apply the repair. Maybe put some heat lights or work lights on it for a bit to see if that will help. Can you see the inside of where this damage is or is it below the sole (floor) of the boat?

Sounds like you might need more repair than just gel coat. At a minimum, once it's dry, you might want to soak some laminating epoxy into the fiberglass. Aside from any structural considerations, if the fiberglass is holding moisture and that moisture freezes during the off-season, it may lift and damage your repaired gel coat again.

Reactions: O-E
Thanks for the replies i will make sure its dry its been out of the water for two weeks so kind of puzzled why its still wet in that area. I did wash it inside and out last week. Its below the waterline. I have the gel coat international kit. Ill try putting heat lamp on the area also. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back