Gauges Sticking / Sporadic

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LogicAl2008

I've noticed my analog gauges (speed, tach, fuel) all are sticking and I want to get them behaving properly. I have a 2004 SeaDoo Sportster 4-TEC 155hp.

For one, I don't want to run out of fuel.
For another, I don't want to over-rev the engine.

Is there something I can do w/o having to tow the Sportster to my SeaDoo dealer/service for $$ repairs?

Not too sure if this applies...

Your question kinda reminds me of a similar problem with the cluster packs on the 1998 - 2002 Jaguar XJ8's. The tach needles develop rigid movement and you can actually hear them move. The factory fix is to take out the gauge cluster and remove the back of the gauge and squirt in a little 3-in-1 oil - same type of oil used by jewellers and clock-smiths. I guess the components get dry after a while and need to be lubricated to smooth them out.

My Seadoo PWC is older and doesn't have any gauges so I'm not too sure how yours are set up. But if you can get your gauges out and apart, then try lubing them up. Might be time consuming, but I think a can of that oil is like $4 CDN, so that's what $1.99 US?

Cheers!
--FWD

OK, I've removed the gauges as you suggested, Freshwater_Doug.

Here are pics of the front and back of the three gauges.
They're sealed units.
Any idea how/where to oil these?

Click on the image for a larger view

Click on the image for a larger view

Well, to replace all three gauges will cost over US$500. That is just nuts.

So, I took the Tach and Speedo, both, apart. I had to work that metal ring around the lens of each device to pry it off. I then removed all of the nuts holding the bolts that hold the entire board inside the white housing.

Three of the four bolts are actually connections that make contact to copper on the PCBoard. So, upon removing the entire assembly from the white housing, I put contact cleaner/protector on those points of contact.

I then re-assembled it all and did my best to form the metal ring back into place. In addition, I used Marine Glue around the back metal and housing where I had pried up/bent back the metal ring. This will help ensure a water-tight seal on the gauges ... I hope. And, Marine Glue is pliable - like caulking. If I need to get it off, it will come away with a little effort and w/o a chisel.

So, the only gauge I didn't futz with is the fuel gauge. The contacts are all internal per a six-position connector. IF the diddlin' around with the other gauges fixed their issue, then maybe I pull the fuel gauge out and explore the contents. But, for now, I'll wait and see what happens with the Tach and Speedo.

Well Done!:hurray:
That's a painstaking job. I hope it all goes good, i have 1 tach that is playing up and have been putting off trying to pull it to pieces. Did the metal ring go back into place well and did you see any reason(corrosion,etc) for them to be sticking?
I have been able to get it to work smoother by spraying wd40 through the hole at the top. Did you take any internal photo's?:cheers:

Doh! I didn't even think about taking helpful photos. Dangit. Too late now. :ack:

Everything inside looked clean. The speedo and tach have armatures like an electric motor (http://www.rcring.com/motor-parts.jpg). From what I could see, it all looked good. I couldn't remove the speedo/tach needles, so I couldn't delve in deeper. But, the armature windings looked brand new.

The points where the bolt heads contact the board were a little green (like oxidation). We'll see if I cleaned them well enough ;-)

Remember to use some dielectric grease on the contacts to prevent them from rusting. It's amazing how well it works!

Well, I just got back from a fun run and the two gauges I disassembled/re-assembled are working better than ever. Not sticky or sporadic, they're both very smooth and, I hope, accurate.

I just ran it out to the bay, just past Weedon Island, FL, and opened her up all the way. 7,000RPM and 35MPH against the tide/current ... 45MPH coming back in with the tide/current. Wooo Hooo!!

So, now I have to watch the gas gauge and decide if I want to disasseble it ... which I doubt ... or try to clean each pin in the male & female 6-pin connectors. Hopefully those are the touchy contacts.

As for "pincusa" mentioning dialectric grease ... that is exactly what I put on the contact points when I re-assembled the two gauges. When I run out of that little $3.00 tube, I'm going to use Vasoline ... which has the same traits as dielectric grease.

Thanks, everyone, for the support. :driving:

Well, I just got back from a fun run and the two gauges I disassembled/re-assembled are working better than ever. Not sticky or sporadic, they're both very smooth and, I hope, accurate.

I just ran it out to the bay, just past Weedon Island, FL, and opened her up all the way. 7,000RPM and 35MPH against the tide/current ... 45MPH coming back in with the tide/current. Wooo Hooo!!

So, now I have to watch the gas gauge and decide if I want to disasseble it ... which I doubt ... or try to clean each pin in the male & female 6-pin connectors. Hopefully those are the touchy contacts.

As for "pincusa" mentioning dialectric grease ... that is exactly what I put on the contact points when I re-assembled the two gauges. When I run out of that little $3.00 tube, I'm going to use Vasoline ... which has the same traits as dielectric grease.

Thanks, everyone, for the support. :driving:

Dude, that sux! (For me!) I had a tach go bad when i fist got my boat, and I just sucked it up and bought a new one (for $250 :ack:)

Next one to go bad or malfunction, I shall 'do like the natives!' :agree: You went out Wednesday? or earlier than that... This week has been FREAKY with the wind and heat and then rain this morning... man, I want Hot and Boring just about now... This weekend looks good enough, 79 on Sat and 77 with a slight chance of rain on Sunday. :hurray:

I went out Wednesday around high tide (5:30pm) or such. I jumped a wave in the bay that freaked me out ... so I turned around and came home. Not cool being out alone and no one at home knows I went out to "play".

This weekend should be nice. If you know the area, I live in the Riviera Bay area (83rd Ave N & Riverside Dr NE). I go out past Weedon and once you pass the sandbar where people park/party, it's back up to Normal Operation speed.

Head out to the bay and once past all of the homes on the right, there's actually a shallow area off to the left. We're going to head out there this weekend and see if we can feed the cownose stingrays (not by hand, tho. this ain't SeaWorld!).

Just watching them skate around is very cool. But, if the winds are high, I'm not putting out any anchors ... we know what happened to some folks who just did that recently, don't we? :angelsad:

Hey LogicAl2008,

Just saw your posting now...been in the garage every night this week! Haven't even started on my PWC yet - next week.

Great to hear that you were able to get them gauges working. I agree - $500 for the set is WAYYYYYY to much. For the Jag gauges we'd put the oil on the shaft near the front bearing. The windings cause the gauge to move and I guess dust and moisture have a way of creating resistance when the shaft rotates. In any case, I figure that your gauges are better now than factory - at least you know they're sealed! haha. Finally, dielectric grease and anti-sieze - two things no one should ever be without!

Thanks for posting the update.

Cheers!
--FWD

If you know the area, I live in the Riviera Bay area (83rd Ave N & Riverside Dr NE). I go out past Weedon and once you pass the sandbar where people park/party, it's back up to Normal Operation speed.

Head out to the bay and once past all of the homes on the right, there's actually a shallow area off to the left. We're going to head out there this weekend and see if we can feed the cownose stingrays (not by hand, tho. this ain't SeaWorld!).

Just watching them skate around is very cool. But, if the winds are high, I'm not putting out any anchors ... we know what happened to some folks who just did that recently, don't we? :angelsad:

OOOh No! That is, like, the OTHER SIDE man!! The other side of the whole Pinellas peninsula!! :rofl: I keep telling myself that one day I am gonna launch from the free ramp off the CCC one day and now I have a Great excuse!

And this weekend is Indy downtown! Can you see it from the water? Well, I mean, I know you probably cannot get anything short of a quick "there goes an Indy racer fast' kind of thing but if you could (like if we could afford to moor at the yacht club), how cool would that be! I looked it up and, I think there might just be a chance to see it form the water and you are still outside the marina! http://www.gpstpete.com/uploads/fanguide_3-23_2009.pdf It would only be for turn 12 or 13, but they would be slowing down for that hairpin so it would probably be pretty good.

Another question, can you moor at the Pier? That is one of these things I was thinking of doing if I ever launched form the Courtney...

thanks!
Cerb

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, sorry for the late reply Cerberus. Just getting back to this forum.

I've never moored up by/near the Pier. But I was just by it yesterday when we went do Fish Tales on 16th Ave S from the water.

I believe you can take your PWC up onto the beach just north of the Pier and then there's another beach past the Vinoy before you reach Coffee Pot Bayou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back