Gauge Repair Troubleshooting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Ok this is the thread I've been considering. Let's get technical. I'm thinking of making a plug in device that will test gauges in small not large ways but at least see if they fire up. I'm trouble shooting gauges now on the 1999 GTX RFI. I also have other gauges as well. With 14 skis on the compound I have a target rich environment. Heck, I might even take an MPEM and power that up with inputs attached to see what goes on. LOL I"m sure many people have repaired gauges in practical ways and know how to troubleshoot them. That input would be most valuable to the group I am certain. Goodnight all. :D

On the info gauges it's two 12v lines that need to be hot to get them to come on. If they don't, they get moisture and corrosion in them, and opening them up and cleaning will sometimes fix it.

To me the best way to test gauges is on the ski using a DMM and reading a wiring schematic. If you've got 12v and the signal going to it, then somethings wrong with the gauge itself.

Keeping the thread alive. I'm am currently in the contemplative phase on these gauges. Hopefully in the next few weeks I"ll have insight or at least... what "not" to do. LOL

I have some fuel gauges I want to set up and test. That should be simple power and input. I'm not going to get into repairing the fuel baffle electronics, I did one of those... that ain't happenin again. LOL :) I'll be breaking out the schematics. I should probably wait till the off-season but I like variety.

This will be a work in progress.

Last edited:
Easy stuff you'll see. Looking at the wiring diagrams the show you everything.
Give it power , ground and for info center give it another 12v. And it powers up. This applies to everything up before the 4techs.
For fuel use a potentiometer 0-100 ohms.
Same for vts.

Speedo you need a speedo sensor you can spin. Wire it up so that the two wires go to the speedo. And give the speedo power and ground. Look at the teoubleshooti g sections for those sensors and it tells you what to do to reproduce the signals.

More for the info center:
Find the wires for center, set, mode and jumper them to go through the modes while its on the bench.

Soon you will be making your own mpem's20180416_212059.jpg

No ah won't. LOL but thanks for the info. You must live under these freakin things. LOL

Trying to get an info gauge on a 2003 RX DI to power up. It's getting the 12 volts from the speedo now that I replaced the speedo. Gauge did have water in it so I guess it is done. I cleaned up all up and was hoping to see something light up. I'll have to look at the wiring diagrams... maybe it needs power for another location as well.

Red purple needs power as well
Thanks I will have to check that and do some research. I suspect it is the gauge as it had a fair amount of water in it and it looks like the rest of the wires come from the computer so I should be getting everything I need for the gauge to work or at least... show e something. LOL I did find a better way to open the gauge from the way I did the last few. I wish I had the time to devote to this kinda stuff but I really don't. :D

Side note: It has been awhile but I bought a sheet of the lens cover material at a very good price and it could probably do several gauges. Touchdowns everyone !! :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back