Gas Gauge

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you remove the gas gauge in a 1997 challenger boat, it is located behind the steering wheel housing?
Thank you
Cliff.

Remove the 3 screws on the back of the steering wheel, remove the steering wheel, may have to tap the shaft with a hammer with the nut loosened. Open the console, pull the container out and there are 4 very small screws, i think 5.5mm that need to be removed and the cover should come off.

Remove the 3 screws on the back of the steering wheel, remove the steering wheel, may have to tap the shaft with a hammer with the nut loosened. Open the console, pull the container out and there are 4 very small screws, i think 5.5mm that need to be removed and the cover should come off.
Thank you, I did as you explained and it was perfect, but I didn't find my problem with the gauge as it is a sealed unit. Is there a way to check the connections in the console with a volt meter or continuity meter to tell if the gauge is at fault, I don't want to buy a new gauge if it is not the problem. I have already gone through the gas baffle in the tank and the magnets are good also the bottom filter is clean. My manual does not have any wiring diagrams in it, so I am kind of stuck. Again, thank you for your response.
Cliff

Thank you, I did as you explained and it was perfect, but I didn't find my problem with the gauge as it is a sealed unit. Is there a way to check the connections in the console with a volt meter or continuity meter to tell if the gauge is at fault, I don't want to buy a new gauge if it is not the problem. I have already gone through the gas baffle in the tank and the magnets are good also the bottom filter is clean. My manual does not have any wiring diagrams in it, so I am kind of stuck. Again, thank you for your response.
Cliff
Did you check to see if your float in the baffle actually floats? If it has the smallest leak it will fill with gas and sink and read empty. That was the issue with my fuel gauge.

Not sure,,,if your baffle has one,,,but did you check the F1 fuse,,they often blow
Thanks popps, another post explained how to check the f1 fuse with a meter and it was good, so it still has to be something else or the gauge itself???? Thanks again for responding.
Cliff

Did you check to see if your float in the baffle actually floats? If it has the smallest leak it will fill with gas and sink and read empty. That was the issue with my fuel gauge.
I did put the floats in a bottle of gas and they did float so I am pretty sure it is not that. Thanks again.
Cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back