Fuel Tank Venting Question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashaman074

Hello,

Well, the weather was nice this past weekend, so I decided to uncover the boat to do some work on it. I noticed right away a strong fuel smell, then noticed dripping from the (open) hull drain plug. Checking it I found it was indeed fuel.

I popped open the engine compartment and found fuel was being forced out of the small zip-tied hose at the bottom of the water vapor separator. I then opened the fuel cap and was greeted with a LOT of bubbling/gurgling; after which the dripping stopped. Lastly, I noticed that the rubber boot surrounding the fuel sending unit was completely off of the fuel tank!

I reattached the rubber boot and tightened down the hose clamp - and there is no leaking going on now. However, it seems as if there was a large buildup of pressure inside the tank; as this would explain what happened. I am guessing that the 40-50 degree rise in temperatures caused this; but it leads me to believe that there is a venting failure somewhere along the line.

Does anyone know right off what SHOULD allow pressure to escape the tank to allow for rising temperatures/pressures? How/where should vapor/pressure escape the system to prevent such a situation?

2000 Challenger 2000

TIA!

Last edited:
I am not sure on the boats but on the skis there is a pressure relief valve on the vent line that releases at about 3psi.

There is what appears to be a vent on the side of the hull; I wasn't sure how it should operate. Guess I'll pull it off and see what it is/is not allowing... Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back