Fuel overflow now leak?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

justbecauseIcan

Hi all

I left the Spark parked in the sun (under an OEM cover, it's an outside parking spot) with a full tank and had the trailer tilted so the Spark sat nose up to drain the bilge after a good rinse inside.

The next day I discovered that fuel had overflown through the filler cap and ran down the side doing some damage to the sea doo decal. I took some fuel off the top and lowered the trailer, now the fuel level is fine, so I guess the tilt ran the fuel up the filler tube and it escaped through the vented filler cap after a gas bubble expanded in the Australian heat.

I know the filler cap is designed to vent fumes if a certain pressure threshold is reached, however, with the fuel being pressed against it, could the pressure in the system have created another fuel leak down in the bilge because the fuel may not have escaped at a rate fast enough to keep the pressure at a tolerable level?

The reason I ask is because when I open the side panel and smell inside, it does smell in there - I cannot 100% say that it smells like fuel, but all I spray in there otherwise is XPS lubricant and water with salt away, none of which smells like the bilge. However, if I smell fuel and then the bilge, it is also not 100% the same. I don't know whether I am now paranoid thinking I smell fuel in the bilge because of the aforementioned leak, or whether there is reason for concern. I have not stuck my nose in the bilge with the same concern beforehand (only had the thing for a few days) and do not know what to make of it.

Since the bilge smell was still there a day after sitting with all the original fuel mess (external to the hull) cleaned up and the bilge flushed once more just in case, I have now taken the side panel and oil cover off and have the Spark parked (still under its cover, I don't want to leave it uncovered because it lives outside at a storage facility) for another few days until I return and can check it out again. Before packing it up I even trailered it around the block with open panels to vent it, but nothing changed.

Is that distinctly chemical smell inside the bilge fuel or common to all and I just have not noticed/cared before?
I've felt around inside with my hand and have not been able to touch anything that had a strong fuel smell, just water residue or oily XPS lube residue. That said, this only covers the filler hose and round thing on top of the fuel tank, I don't know whether there are other weak parts out of reach.

Another forum thread I found described the same overflow happening in the heat and at a tilt, but that tank was only 3/4 full whilst mine was freshly topped off with cold fuel just before it was stored in the heat, so I don't know whether the pressure in my situation was higher and has caused additional damage. Can anyone reassure that the fuel cap vent lets enough fuel through (not just fumes!) to prevent the internal pressure from doing any other damage on this particular model?

Happy for any assistance! The dealer here has a many week long back log and you know what that means if I want to get it pressure tested :(

Cheers

Last edited:
It is very hard for us to answer your question as we simply are not there. Fuel has a pretty specific odor as compared to oil or engines that have been run and have some oil on them ect ect...

You for sure want to know which you are dealing with as one is acceptable and can be explosive.. Find an old timer that lives by you and ask their opinion.

there is a specific range that the fuel cap should vent, I can't recall off hand what it is but it will be around 3-5psi which should be low enough to prevent too much pressure being built up to create a leak in the system, that being said if your fuel cap was defective and allowed the pressure to build up much higher then it could cause an issue, if there was a leak it would most likely be coming from around the fill neck clamps or around the fuel pump mounting gasket, it is very important that you don't have any leaks in the system so you should have it checked out by someone that knows the system if you suspect an issue, it could be that what you are smelling is normal but no one can tell you for sure over the internet.

Back