Fuel Leak

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JL242

I have a 2001 Challenger 1800 with the 240 EFI. I have noticed a small fuel leak that appears to be coming from the electric fuel pump area. Specifically from the top near the electrical connections to the pump. Does anyone have/had this issue and or a possible fix?? I"m at work today, I will try and post a pic tomorrow.

ok, the gasket came in and it's too big. How can I shrink this gasket a few millimeters without ruining it??gasket.jpg

I did what you suggested. No leaks so far.... Thanks for the advice!!

I spoke too soon. After hooking it up to the hose and running it a few minutes it started to leak again. Back to the drawing board....

Last edited by a moderator:
well.... this is where I'm at.... I took the fuel bowl off again and removed the lid. I found that the gasket had been pinched (obviously not seated properly). I ended up cutting the gasket to make it fit. Then I put permatex motoseal (which is a gasoline resistant sealer) on the gasket and put it all back together. I let it sit for 24 hours to cure. I put the fuel bowl back on and attached everything back together. Now the boat won't start.... I can hear the fuel pump clicking, I know I hooked all the hoses up correctly (cause I took a pic before I started) so I'm going to work on it tomorrow and see what I can do.... I'm hoping its just a priming the pump issue now....

Did you disconnect the wires to the pump motor in the vapor separator tank (VST) ? Polarity matters! Wrong polarity will run the pump motor, but you get zero fuel pressure.

Have you examined the top and bottom of the VST for small cracks, maybe near screws?

OK, here's what has I have found out. I started checking for power at the fuel pump that's in the fuel bowl. Turns out the ground wire was pulled away from the post. I couldn't see it because it happened under the insulation. Now, the next major problem. The nut that attaches the ground wire is rusted to the post. The nut and the post turn freely. So, how do I get this issue fixed?? There appears to be an o-ring that looks to be shot that is around the post. I'm sure once I get the power to the fuel pump, this will also be a new leak.... Do I need a new fuel bowl lid?? Tim75 is the VST the fuel bowl?? I will attach pics once I get off shift... Thanks for the help.

Merc's terminology is not what you would expect. The VST is the ass'y you are working on. It actually is the fuel injection pump. The pump you hear tick-tick-tick is NOT this pump. That tick-pump is the fuel lift pump. It does the same as a primer bulb on a smaller outboard.

Back to the VST- you may have to remove it from engine. The pump motor is replaceable, so there is a way to remove it from VST. Once you get it out, you should be able to see how & why your terminal screws are spining and how to replace them. They may be special Merc, but remember-- your engine is an outboard powerhead. Parts should be available.

hey kids, guess who removed the VST took it apart and replaced EVERY o-ring in it??.... this guy did. $11.24 was the cost and my free labor.... no leaks, all is good and I can't wait to take her out for a spin.o-ring.jpg

this o-ring was the leaky culprit....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back