fuel gauge not working and some other stuff

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-man228

I have a new to me 1997 GSI with 29 original hours on the original motor. I am not new to Seadoo as I was head of sales for a dlsp back in the 90's so this PWC is in my knowledge wheelhouse. The fuel gauge is not working so I went ahead and pulled the sending unit (lots of fun);). It looks as if it was upgraded from the original as the float was different ( 4 magnets on the corners instead of 1 in the top middle) and it had a snap in style bottom that was removable unlike the old ones I remember having to fix back in the day. Anyway, after I got it apart I plugged it back into the harness and the gauge was working correctly as we manually slid the float up and down the sender. I cleaned it up and put it back in the tank and no joy. Still shows no fuel even with a fresh 15 gallons of non ethanol in it. I should mention the oil injection was removed prior to me getting it and we have to premix. Would this have any effect on the float not moving in the sending unit?

Also, it ran great when first put into the water and the first 2/3 of the fuel burned thru it but now won't take any gas so I am getting ready to change out the old grey fuel lines for NMMA approved fuel line, clean the Selector valve and if I have to, crack open the carbs. It is sitting now with Seafoam in the tank and fuel system as my son ran it around at idle of just above today for about an hour to get the seafoam circulated thru it. Anything else I need to check with the fuel system?

Well first welcome.

Second seafoam has no place in these skis and should not be used in a 2 stroke since it is a solvent made to clean and it will not help the oil your 2 stroke uses for lubrication.

Third you have gray fuel lines so there is a 99% chance your carbs are plugged and running it will kill the engine.

You need to drain that fuel out with the seafoam, replace all the fuel lines, fuel valve, strainer and rebuild the carbs with only genuine Mikuni kits and needle and seats.

As far as the fuel gauge, did you put it in some fuel and see if it actually floated when you had it out?
The new ones are white hollow plastic with two silver magnets, one at the top and one at the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not try to fill the sender with fuel to see if the float floated but I will when I pull it out again. Thanks for the tip on the Seafoam

When you get the float out, shake it and I think you'll find it is full of gas. That's how mine was. On mine, I located the hole where the fuel had gotten in by squeezing the float slightly and looking for the wet spot. Then I drilled a small hole i the top of the float and drained it. Then fixed both holes by melting them closed with a soldering iron. Of course you could just buy a new float, but what would be the fun in that :)

Thanks or the part number it doesn't look Like the kits contain a new needle and seat. Do you have a part number for those as well? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back