Fresh water pump on Islandia

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsteber

I had reviewed Dr. Honda's history with his Islandia, and am very thankful for his knowledge as I learn. I read that he had changed his out with a different pump he found and gave the link. Since my pump is not working, I thought I would give it a try. It's only 12.95!!! I bought 2! Anyway, it has not come in yet, but had asked Dr. H some questions via PM, and he was kind enough to answer them, but said they really need to be put in a post to help others. He is absolutely right!! Here is our conversation regarding the pump:

I removed the old pump. I tested the switch and it is good. I hardwired the pump to the battery, and it must be locked up because it almost welded the wires to the battery!! So the pump is surely no good. My question is: when you install this new pump, does it have a pressure valve/transformer like the OEM? Or, do you just flip the switch on when you need it? I see that the new one is rated at 60 psi. The OEM is 40. Does that pose an issue? Thank you for all of your help.

These flow-Jet pumps really don't seem to last long. I've seen a bunch of reports about the pumps being bad... but I think your's is the newest boat. When I pulled my original pump out... it looked perfect from the outside, but when I took it apart... the guts of the motor look like they were sunk at the bottom of the ocean for 10 years.

response:
Yes... those surplus pumps were 60 PSI. You can either put the pressure switch from your old pump on it (it's the little square part on the front, and is held on with a few screws, and the wires un-plug) or... if you take the cover off the switch... there is a screw in the center, and that sets the pressure of the switch. With it very lose, it's close to 40 psi. (that's what I did)

If your system is in good condition, it will hold the 60 PSI... but I found that you will get a blast of pressure, and then it falls off, since the flow is lower. It's not a big deal, but it would make the sink splash.

I turn off the water pump whenever it's not being used. I find that the pressure will bleed back, and it will cycle every once in a while. So... by turning it off... it saves the wear and tare on the pump. AND... when you are sitting around... you don't have to listen to the pump. (mine would cycle ever few minutes)

So....I can't wait till it comes in to try it out. I will probably put some bleach in it to clean out the tank and lines. It hasn't been used in years according to the previous owner.Boat ran great yesterday with the family. Now I am on a mission to find a ladder for my dog. I am so sore from picking his big butt up to get him back in the boat!!!

The new pump came in yesterday. However, it seems the fittings are different. The new one has smaller, threaded female fittings, whereas the old one just pushes in and locks in place. I will have to go to a supply house and try to find some type of connector/reducer. Maybe a bushing and a swedge? What do you think Dr. H? How did you do yours with these pumps?

Yes... the stock pump has the quick fittings... and the surplus pump is threaded. I went to the hardware store, and got a couple plastic fittings (from the well water/sewer pump section) and made it work.

The threads are 3/8NPT. One hose is 1/2" and the other is 5/8" or 3/4". What I used was off the shelf, and probably cost less than $10 fro what I needed.

Oh........ Almost forgot....

The mounting foot isn't the same. BUT... you should be able to get 2 of the bolts in. That... along with the hoses, and it won't go anywhere.

Where did you guys find/buy these "surplus" pumps? I would like to avoid spending $130-$150 to replace it with the recommended "stock" pump (which is actually slightly newer than the OEM pump. What are the basic specs I should look for when buying a replacement pump?

Also, I see/read that Dr. H cleaned the lines and tank for the fresh water.....what method did you guys use? Just dump some bleach in there and run through a few times....??

..I have a 2006 Islandia...main fresh-water pump doesn't run...is original, so I am assuming the pump went bad and it's not a switch (but I will check all that too.)

Sorry I'm not over here very often. I'm a 2-stroke guy. It's not that I don't like 4-strokes... but I'm cheap, and they are still expensive. LOL.

I answered a PM from Mortified... but it looks like the surplus shop still pumps. The shop is Electronic Goldmine. A pump very similar to the one I used is about $40 right now. (but they go on sale if you want to hold off for a while, and sign up for their email list) They also have a could $24 pumps that could work but the flow is low.

As far as the pumps not lasting... I thought that also... but the one I put in my boat is now 7 years old, and is working just fine. I think turning it off when not in use helps... and a proper winterizing is key. I'm guessing when ice gets into the pump... it will get past the seals, and get into the motor. (and kill it)

Thanks. What model on that Electronic Goldmine site do you recommend as a replacement?

I see a "JABSCO 31395-0092 Marine PAR-MAX 2.9 Water Pump" for $60....same brand as my 2006 OEM pump. slightly less flow than OEM.

And a "Flojet Model LFP121421F 12VDC Pump" for $25. ... significantly lower flow than OEM.

FYI: Walmart online and Amazon are selling the recommended OEM replacement (slightly updated) for $107, free shipping. Includes new nozzle and new intake strainer. "Jabsco 32605 Series Marine ParMax 4. GPM Washdown Pump Kit". Full warranty and can add 2 year additional for $14. ....However, I just read the reviews for this on Amazon....lots unhelpful positive reviews...But multiple negative reviews with details about how these Jabsco ones fail a lot...which is line with what all Islandia owners have seen.

Also, from the looks of the new Flojet models, Flojet and Jabsco are the same company or share parts. Verified: Xylem Inc. owns both brands and several others.

Last edited:
Dr. H: What method did you use to clean the lines and tank for the fresh water? Just dump some bleach in there and run through a few times....??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back