Fresh 951 And Slight Mods

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CreekerMike

Greetings and salutations to all, I got alot of great info with my first post so im hoping to get some more with this one.

Im starting the season off with a fresh 951/947 in my 98 Gtx Ltd'. Compression checked out at 125 cold in the mag and pto cylinder. Hoping to see 130 or 135 once the rings seat and the motor is broken in. Im in the process of replacing the wear ring (old one was pretty chewed up). The motor is stock aside from an oil block off and k&n filters. Im not sure if the carbs are jetted but ill be tearing into them to check.

Im curious if there is any tweaks or mods you all can recomend for a little more performance or a few more rpm. Ive read up on "bens secret mods" and im gonna try his jetting aside from the 2.3 needle and seat. I know the solas 15/20 is renouned as the best all around prop. So im probably gonna invest in that. Aside from these mods is there anything else i should do or look into? I dont have the biggest budget but i can manage. All input/ suggestions is apreciated!

-Creeker Mike

I can tell you that you will gain absolutely no performance on a basically stock ski with those K&N air filters.
In my opinion they are junk. On a watercraft there’s nothing to filter and the stock air cleaner has no filter so the K&N is actually more restrictive when dry and when they get wet which they will they flow almost no air.

In addition the 951 engine can’t handle any water ingestion and the best way to guarantee that is the stock air box with all the boots and deflectors.

I would suggest getting a stock airbox and boots, stock jetting and if you have to modify something and your impeller is s little rough get the Solas and enjoy your ski.

I can tell you that you will gain absolutely no performance on a basically stock ski with those K&N air filters.
In my opinion they are junk. On a watercraft there’s nothing to filter and the stock air cleaner has no filter so the K&N is actually more restrictive when dry and when they get wet which they will they flow almost no air.

In addition the 951 engine can’t handle any water ingestion and the best way to guarantee that is the stock air box with all the boots and deflectors.

I would suggest getting a stock airbox and boots, stock jetting and if you have to modify something and your impeller is s little rough get the Solas and enjoy your ski.
Thanks for the response, do you think itd benifit me at all if I built a guard for the filters (maybe out of thin gauge sheet metal) or outwears? Could i get hydrophobic filters? Or is the stock airbox the best way to go? I come from a world of MX bikes where everything is jetted lean to meet epa specs so filters and jets are usually the first mod.

Stock airbox is the best and safest. I actually just pulled one out of my attic to get rid of if you need one. I don’t have the snorkels or flaps though.
f6b4b467a81e2fa955863ae4ec381f77.jpg
14edb9160200d942a12007ca017c29ea.jpg

Stock airbox is the best and safest. I actually just pulled one out of my attic to get rid of if you need one. I don’t have the snorkels or flaps though.
Not sure is this is okay to discuss on here but how much would you wanna get for it? Also hows the stock jetting on the 951? And how would it fear with me running premix? Apologies for the abundance of questions.

The stock jetting is perfect. Seadoo did a really good job so basically any stock Seadoo runs perfectly with stock jetting.

If you want to run premix you don’t have to change anything but you should block off the pump and intake nipples. You will use a lot more oil though.

Also Seadoo has the most reliable oil injection on any watercraft so I always suggest keeping it. You do need to replace the oil filter and small oil lines from the pump to the intake manifold every few years and run the correct API-TC full synthetic oil though. I only run the factory oil injection on all of my Seadoo’s.

The stock jetting is perfect. Seadoo did a really good job so basically any stock Seadoo runs perfectly with stock jetting.

If you want to run premix you don’t have to change anything but you should block off the pump and intake nipples. You will use a lot more oil though.

Also Seadoo has the most reliable oil injection on any watercraft so I always suggest keeping it. You do need to replace the oil filter and small oil lines from the pump to the intake manifold every few years and run the correct API-TC full synthetic oil though. I only run the factory oil injection on all of my Seadoo’s.
Currently have a oil block off on the case (thread in with allen bolts fitted by locktite) nipples are on the manifolds (little bit of red rtv) im gonna hold off on the airbox for now, just wanna get a little more input. But, if theres a pm funtion on this forum please pm me, chances are ill purchase it off you. If there isnt a pm then whats the best way to contact you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn’t use the RTV. It can actually make them slip off and isn’t fuel resistant. They are best installed dry and a small zip tie.

You also need to remove the plastic drive gear from the magnito to the oil pump. The old ones you can pull out with the pump off but the newer ones you have to pull the front cover off.

I sent you a private message.

I wouldn’t use the RTV. It can actually make them slip off and isn’t fuel resistant. They are best installed dry and a small zip tie.

You also need to remove the plastic drive gear from the magnito to the oil pump. The old ones you can pull out with the pump off but the newer ones you have to pull the front cover off.

I sent you a private message.
I made sure to remove the gear when i had the front cover off, the rtv i used was hi temp red. 99% sure that it is fuel and oil resistant. But either way ill try and snake a zip tie in their, thanks for the great idea.

Unfortunately none of the RTV is fuel resistant but you will be fine with the zip ties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back