Flushing 4-Tec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimraab

I went to a Seadoo dealer last week where my friend purchased a Challenger 180. The dealer told him that he did not suggest flushing the motor after each use because the water is just running through an aluminum chamber. He also mentioned you can do more harm than good with cold water running through a hot engine. I have always flushed my 4-Tec engine. Does what the dealer suggested make sense?

The dealer is crazy. Flush after each time it's been in salt water. Using "SALT AWAY" is also highly recommended. :cheers:

Thanks Dennis!

I would be curious to get the opinions of a few other members. I agree with you!

That dealer is ridiculous. Flushing your motor is good preventative maintenance especially if running in salt water. It will help all parts last longer if not for the life of the ski.

I don't know what he meant by flushing cold water through a hot engine. It's just like flushing cold lake water through a hot engine on the water?

Flush away! But make sure you turn on motor, then hose, then hose off , then motor off

Ocean or lake water in the summer can be quite a bit warmer than water from the tap...it wouldn't hurt to let your watercraft cool down for 30 minutes to an hour before flushing it out. The important thing here is to get all the saltwater flushed out of the exhaust cooling system BEFORE letting it sit for an extended amount of time (ie. days or weeks before next use). If you know you're going to ride it again the very next morning, there's not so much to be gained by flushing it right then. But if you're like most people and it's going to be stored till the next weekend then by all means yes flush that saltwater out before putting it up for the week!

ps. Flushing it doesn't hurt anything as long as you're doing it right and for the right amount of time, no extended running on the flush port mainly just let it idle and be sure to turn engine on water on water off engine off in that order!

- Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back