First time boat owner and Ive got a lot of issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ARCBOY

Well I am not a happy first time boat owner as I have a few problems to figure out. This is partially my fault as I didn't go for a test drive on the water before purchasing, lesson learned. I did a lot of research before making this purchase as I really liked all the advantages of a jet boat vs a typical bow rider-I/O style. I paid $5k for it with a trailer and it is in excellent shape with no tears on upholstery or any issues with the fiberglass.

Ive tried to research this as much as possible but I need to know where to start. My problems are as follows for my 1998 Sea Doo Sportster 1800 as it starts up no problems and everything works fine except the fuel gauge. Compression at all 4 ports/cylinders is 145-150psi.

1. Seems like I have the definition of cavitation except the dealer replaced the wear ring and the impellers look great. What it does is as you warm it up and accelerate it revs up but doesn't go anywhere but maybe 10 mph at 4-5k rpms.

2. Starboard side motor doesn't seem to want to rev up without dying no matter how slow or fast you accelerate. Port side seams to be decent, not awesome but good. Has new spark plugs and they are black and oily from what I'm guessing is from lack of carb adjustment or some other issue.

3. Both motors didn't rev up equally as I'm sure the cause is related to issue #2.

4. Steering is a little rough and just not smooth and if you crank it lock to lock it revs up a little which tells me the cables are stressed between the steering and throttle. Not sure if its the gear box behind the dash or maybe a new steering cable. Everything looks good at the back with all the linkage.

I'm waiting for the dealer to call me back Monday as they are checking with a Sea Doo dealer for advice.

1. Seems like I have the definition of cavitation except the dealer replaced the wear ring and the impellers look great. What it does is as you warm it up and accelerate it revs up but doesn't go anywhere but maybe 10 mph at 4-5k rpms.
Check the carbon ring and rubber boot on the drive shaft (inside the boat). If they are worn/not adjusted properly, you can suck air from there.

2. Starboard side motor doesn't seem to want to rev up without dying no matter how slow or fast you accelerate. Port side seams to be decent, not awesome but good. Has new spark plugs and they are black and oily from what I'm guessing is from lack of carb adjustment or some other issue.

3. Both motors didn't rev up equally as I'm sure the cause is related to issue #2.
Sounds like your carbs need to be rebuilt. Are the fuel lines gray and have the word "Tempo" on it? If so, Stop, do not pass go. Replace the lines and rebuild the carbs before you burn your motors up. You should also verify that the oil pump is adjusted properly.

4. Steering is a little rough and just not smooth and if you crank it lock to lock it revs up a little which tells me the cables are stressed between the steering and throttle. Not sure if its the gear box behind the dash or maybe a new steering cable. Everything looks good at the back with all the linkage.
The steering linkage needs to be lubricated. The speeding up and slowing down of the motors as you turn is normal and is designed to give the "outside" turning motor a bit more RPM to compensate for the turn.

I'm waiting for the dealer to call me back Monday as they are checking with a Sea Doo dealer for advice.

You can do all of the work yourself (with a bit of mechanical knowledge). The carb rebuilds would be the most time consuming, but there are people on this forum you can send them to and they will rebuild them cheaper than a stealer. You really need to get a copy of the shop manual (which you can get by becoming a premium member here or a little google foo).

I will double what USAF said. He is right on.

Carbon Seal most likely is the issue. Increase RPM is by design in tight turns. Carbs are normal issue..

Thank you very much for you responses!!!!!

Looks like I will be replacing the grey fuel lines, removing all the fuel in the tank, and getting the carbs rebuilt.

I will double what USAF said. He is right on.

Carbon Seal most likely is the issue. Increase RPM is by design in tight turns. Carbs are normal issue..

Where are the Carbon seals? can someone show me a pic or a link to part number?

I'm waiting on the dealer to call me back today, as they want to try and make it right..... we'll see how that goes.

I am at 30,000 feet, pics are on other phone. Let me see if I can find something. Basically, it is the seal that is on the drive shaft that keeps water out if the hull. If they are bad or set up wrong, at speed you will suck air out of the hull and directly into the impeller causing cavitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back