Feels like "clutch" slipping then revs up RPM

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thndr Buddy

I'm new to seadoo water craft. I have a 2004 seadoo Sportster LE Di. Picked this up last fall and took it for a 10 min test drive with the owner. All went well.
I put it in the water a few weeks ago and went for a ride. Did about 10 knots for about 15 min till we got to a spot to open it up. It worked flawless for about 10 more minutes doing various things. Opened it wide open back it down ect. I went to get on it again and at about 5500rpm it felt like a "clutch " slips in a car. I could not get it to get up on plane. Tried to inch the throttle up slow and between 5500 and 6000 rpm the engine would rev up and no more moving" clutch slip feeling.

I did the online research, "sounds like wear ring and or impeller". The impeller did have some dents and wear but the wear ring was fine. At this point I decided to rebuild the unit as I found sea water in the cone assembly. New Impeller, shaft, new pump housing and wear ring. Followed the manufacture specs, Loctite, torque, oils etc. Basically a new pump and parts.

Took it out for a sea trial today... and the exact same thing happen all over again....

Help please...

Tim

Last edited:
kinda bouncing around a bit. are you getting water coming through between the carbon ring and the silver metal carrier ring when it is in the lake?

Also, just to make sure, did you use a feeler guage when checking the clearance between the new impeller and wear ring?

kinda bouncing around a bit. are you getting water coming through between the carbon ring and the silver metal carrier ring when it is in the lake?

Also, just to make sure, did you use a feeler guage when checking the clearance between the new impeller and wear ring?
.020, and yes there is some water getting in the boat. I didn't notice water coming in a the carbon ring, but then again it was covered and i was not looking for it either.

I always use an alignment tool when setting the engine on its mounts. Others can chime in on whether this is important. I feel it is easier on the splines and may impact the carbon ring as well.

Secure the boat to the trailor, back it in deep enough to cover the jet pump, remove the pto cover, start it up, give it some throttle, see if the carbon ring is leaking.
If not, pull the pump,,,with the pump in your hand you can easily see the condition of the prop and the wear ring.

Secure the boat to the trailor, back it in deep enough to cover the jet pump, remove the pto cover, start it up, give it some throttle, see if the carbon ring is leaking.
If not, pull the pump,,,with the pump in your hand you can easily see the condition of the prop and the wear ring.
Good idea. The pump, prop and wear ring are brand new.

the last two places i can think of is the connection of the pump to the transom and to make sure there is no air getting through the ride plate.

All you probably had was cavitation. You picked up something in your pump like a small stick or seaweed and it probably fell out when you took the boat out.

All you probably had was cavitation. You picked up something in your pump like a small stick or seaweed and it probably fell out when you took the boat out.
If that's the case, its happened 3 times we have had the boat out and around the same times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back