Factory wake tower pros vs cons

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyboyZR1

I'm currently narrowing down the search for a Challenger boat and came across one with the factory wake tower. Does anyone know if this can be removed or replaced with the standard bimini top? Does the tower still have a bimini top? Does the wake tower get in the way of getting in and out of the boat? We don't ski/wakeboard (and probably never will), so it seems like the tower might be overkill for us (although it does look cool). Just wondering if I should rule this boat out or not.

Last edited:
There's usually a bimini that goes with the tower. You didn't mention a year or size for the boat in question, so I posted a pic of a later model 180 with a tower and the bimini. If you remove the tower, you'd more than likely have some holes in the sides of the bolt where the tower mounted, so I'd probably eliminate that option.

I wouldn't shy away from the tower over a bimini, but if it's an issue folding it to store in a garage or to lower to go under a structure, then I'd consider a boat without one.

180SE.jpg

Thanks for the pic of the wake tower with the bimini top. The boat in question is a 2012. We don't have any garage clearance issues so the wake tower would be okay in that regard. I just wonder if it would be overkill since we won't use it for anything other than folding out the bimini top. Also it looks like it could hinder stepping in and out of the boat.

Thanks for the pic of the wake tower with the bimini top. The boat in question is a 2012. We don't have any garage clearance issues so the wake tower would be okay in that regard. I just wonder if it would be overkill since we won't use it for anything other than folding out the bimini top. Also it looks like it could hinder stepping in and out of the boat.

Another thought.... we do not have a wake tower, just a stand alone bimini top, we find it rather annoying when folded down completely. In the completely lowered position you have to step over it to get to the swim platform limiting access. We also find it an issue when its in the upright position and not opened up, it creates other issues with side access towards the rear of the boat. We usually remove it completely unless we have a full day on the water and need some shade because of the pain it can be. We wish we had the wake tower giving us greater side access (vs stand alone bimini) and no issues with stepping over anything at the rear swim platform. In our case boarding at the rear or front of the boat is the most common so full side access isn't necessary. Just another view point!

Those are some good points. The wake tower is growing on me and seems like it might be nice to have, even if we don't wakeboard. I found out this boat also has the twin 155's which makes it more attractive. This will probably be the one! Thanks for the input guys.

I have a 2010 210 challenger with stock tower. The Bimini attaches straight to the tower & can be strapped to the tower in a folded down position when not inuse & stays out of the way nicely. The wake tower does not get in the way & if anything is helpful when boarding from the rear because you can grab in to it. I’m six foot & I don’t even know it’s there when walking around on the boat. Needless to say we love it & would recommend it. Ours could easily be removed with a few bolts but we just fold it down when we put it in the garage & it fits fine. It doesn’t fold down seemlessly though. You do have to take two bolts out & then it folds down. So it’s not quite a folding stow & go setup. That said I do that about 3 times a year.

In my opinion the wake tower is the only way to go. The tower on my 230 SP works like a pergola. The Bimini connects to the Tower and is very easy to open and close. The towers never in the way and neither is the Bimini. Usually Factory things are lame like the Jensen stereo. But the factory Towers... I don't think you could find an aftermarket that looks half as good.

Yesterday.
d7dd2058b781f8212d4bdb95bee585f6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back