Factory depth finder

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metnut

I'm thinking about buying a Seadoo depth finder for my 2019 GTX. Anybody have experience with these units? Are they accurate while driving, or do you have to be at trolling speed? I like the idea of using the existing display, but wonder if it is worth the extra cost. I was also looking at a Depth Trax 2b that allows the transducer to be glued inside the hull, but would require a 2" external display. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

i have it on my 2012 GTX and it works pretty good. comes in handy a lot, the faster you drive the less accurate it is, it works best 50km/hr and less.

Thanks for starting a thread like this.

I was planning to get depth finders on a new Wake model to help know if the water is shallow or not when wakeskating as another safety check. I am getting back into wakeskating. I used to spec out the location by eye but it would be a nice feature to cruise around at a speed that the depth gauge is accurate to get some real world readings in addition to using eye sight. I can't seem to find any information about how accurate the depth finders actually are. Do you guys know how accurate they are or maybe someone else reading this?

The water I will be in will likely be not much more than 10 feet most of the time and probably more like 6 most of the time. Are these depth finders meant for shallow water readings?

1. If the water is 4 feet deep, how far off would the readings be? What would the variation be on that? Would it show 3 to 5 feet or is it more accurate than that or worse than that maybe showing 8 feet when it is 4 feet.
2. What speed do you have to slow down to for it to be consistently accurate? 5 mph, 20 mph, etc? We can slow down to spec out the area first so slower speed would be ok for us.
3. What is the minimum depth reading? Can it detect and report 2 or 3 feet?

Last edited:
I purchased my GTX from a friend and he had the factory depth sensor installed by the dealer the year before I got it. While I can't say I "calibrated" it, I can say it seems to work very well. In general it matches my Navionics gps charts while driving. I don't run much over 45 mph and from idle to stop, it records fine. I remember earlier this year I saw the depth go to two feet while idling into new territory and like an idiot, I went into reverse instead of just shutting down, and sure enough I picked up some rocks.
I would never buy another ski without the depth sensor.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting a thread like this.

I was planning to get depth finders on a new Wake model to help know if the water is shallow or not when wakeskating as another safety check. I am getting back into wakeskating. I used to spec out the location by eye but it would be a nice feature to cruise around at a speed that the depth gauge is accurate to get some real world readings in addition to using eye sight. I can't seem to find any information about how accurate the depth finders actually are. Do you guys know how accurate they are or maybe someone else reading this?

The water I will be in will likely be not much more than 10 feet most of the time and probably more like 6 most of the time. Are these depth finders meant for shallow water readings?

1. If the water is 4 feet deep, how far off would the readings be? What would the variation be on that? Would it show 3 to 5 feet or is it more accurate than that or worse than that maybe showing 8 feet when it is 4 feet.
2. What speed do you have to slow down to for it to be consistently accurate? 5 mph, 20 mph, etc? We can slow down to spec out the area first so slower speed would be ok for us.
3. What is the minimum depth reading? Can it detect and report 2 or 3 feet?
it doesn't work when ski mode is engaged it defaults back to RPM

Last edited:
I'm thinking about buying a Seadoo depth finder for my 2019 GTX. Anybody have experience with these units? Are they accurate while driving, or do you have to be at trolling speed? I like the idea of using the existing display, but wonder if it is worth the extra cost. I was also looking at a Depth Trax 2b that allows the transducer to be glued inside the hull, but would require a 2" external display. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
It works fine in my 2021 GTX Limited. Very accurate, compared with Garmin Maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back