Exhaust pipe welch plugs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

switt

Have a couple 787/800s in my challenger and one has had a welch plug leaking. Read several threads here, all quite old, and have been unable to repair. I was able to get through last season with jb weld. Now have the pipe out, removed what was left of the welch plug, got some 1.25 inch aluminum discs, and am trying torch welding. First tried low temp rods from harbor freight and was unable to get to stick to the pipe. Then tried aluminum brazing rods with flux, same result. Have used MAP and propane. Anyone had any luck torch welding their aluminum welch plugs on their exhaust?

I bring mine to a local welder that TIGs mine and pay him $40. Usually if one is leaking the other 3 are in various modes of failure. He does a great job.

Regarding the torch route on aluminum, I just haven't found anything that works for me. Then there are the impurities in the cast aluminum, exhaust gas, oil, carbon, and all that stuff that'll make you cry. :D :D I let the welder worry about that crap and just do a nice job painting the pipe when I get it back.

I have done the old red bull bottom and j.b weld when my welding guy isn't around.cut the bottom of red bull can clean it scuff and clean the pipe mix up some j.b stick it on the pipe let it set.then take some j.b and do another coat the seam again.sand it paint it or leave it.have guys with ten years on there skis still holding up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back