Engine wont start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justy23

Hello to everyone. I have a Challenger 2000 with a Merc 210 carb. I just replace the fuel pump, fuel filter and the fuel primer bulb type, but the engine wont start. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Have you checked for spark? have you checked compression? Did it run before changing the fuel pump?

Hello Dr. Honda and thanks for your response. This is the history. About 3 months ago I paid about $600 for a tune up and at that time the mechanic gave me the boat working well. I could not use the boat until two weeks ago, but when I went to start the motor, it cranks but no start. I take it back to the mechanic and he told me it was the fuel pump also he said that I have to change the fuel prime bulb because it doesn't stay full or hard after a few grips. He check the sparks and also I change them all 2 weeks ago. I change the fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel primer. I notice that the fuel pump bulb do its job because I see gas in the filter just before the carbs but did not stay hard. Also the fuel filter is empty after a while, is this normal or it could be a leak? I suspect it may be the stator. What do you think? I have no check the compression.

Well, a fuel primer bulb isn't part of the factory fuel system. So I can't say if it should stay hard or not. But if it is getting soft, you may have a leak at the carbs, or fuel enriching system.

Also, I wasn't asking about the spark plugs... I was asking if there is a spark. if you have a bad stator, you wont have spark.

It takes 3 things to make it run. (spark, fuel, compression) so before we can figure out why its not running, we need to know what is wrong..

Hello Dr.Honda
I checked spark and it has spark. The compression is fine. The fuel lines entering the carburetors have good flow but the only thing is that carburetors are not injected gasoline into the engine. We tried spraying gasoline directly into carburetors as we crank the engine and by this way we could starts the engine but just kept on until it consumed the gas. The carburetors have a drain screw on the bottom and we removed each screw but not drain gasoline, is this normal? The previous owner told me that this engine was full injection but they switched to carburetor.

The carb bowls should be full of fuel. SO... you can have a block in the feed hose, or the carbs are gummed up, and the needle/seat isn't letting fuel flow in.

Sounds like the carbs need to come off.

Ok, I will try to remove the carburetors according to engine manual. I'll see if I can get a video to show me how to clean the carbs. Thanks

Update:
I took out the carbs and needles not came out of the seat. I clean the seat and adjust the buoys. Now my engine starts. The only thing I notice is that the idle speed is too fast. Maybe is because the boat is out of the water, but how can I measure or set the idle rpm. This has to be done in the water or could be outside. Thanks

The idle of your engine should be 1100 rpm when out of the water. Make sure your throttle links are all moving as they are supposed to, and adjust the idle stop to get the proper idle.

Hello: How can I make adjustment to Maximum Spark Adjustment Screw and Idle Timing Screw? If there any video? Thanks

Do not adjust the spark if you don't know what you are doing with it! Too much ignition timing WILL burn holes in the top of your pistons.

Update
Hello, yesterday I had my first experience with this boat in the water. I notice that at idle speed the engine sounds like pistoning if this is normal? or could be the fuel (not been premium). In addition I notice that one of the exhaust tubes has more pressure than the other. Is this normal? in general terms the boat ran well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back