Engine Removal help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace168516

I just acquired a 98 Sportster 1800 in rough shape...all sorts of animals living in it, uncovered for years. Was going to pull the engines first and comb through them to see if this project was worthy of continuing. I think I have everything off and am trying to slide the engine off the shaft, but i can't get it off...it is moving a half inch or so. I assume i just need to get it up higher and muscle it a bit more, but my back is not happy after 8 hours in the boat yesterday and thought I would ask for any tips or oversights before I go wrestle with it more... thanks in advance for any help advice.20181208_165944.jpg

Put the three motor mount bolts back on.
Push the black bellows with the two hose clamps back towards the aft along with the metal piece just in front of it and expose a metal circlip.
Remove the circlip.
Now go to the rear of the boat and remove the jet pump.
Should be able to get the drive shaft out now.

I read it was possible to pull the engine without removing the shaft...is that incorrect, or is it just easier to do it the way you suggest? Thanks

Put the three motor mount bolts back on.
Push the black bellows with the two hose clamps back towards the aft along with the metal piece just in front of it and expose a metal circlip.
Remove the circlip.
Now go to the rear of the boat and remove the jet pump.
Should be able to get the drive shaft out now.

It’s easier to pull the pump and shaft. Plus you have to have them out anyway to align the engine when it goes back in.

If you are tearing down the entire engine it’s easier to remove the pto with the engine still bolted down.

Good deal, thanks for the help...thoughts on cost effectiveness of this...my instinct tells me if I do a top end on both if them, it will be worthwhile, but if they need more, a remanufactured engine may be a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back