Engine locked up? Ideas

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman11377

Ok so I have a 90 GT that I originally bought for $250. I cleaned it up and have been running and having fun with it for several years now. At the end of last season (Oct?) the starter went out on our last trip. Brought the ski home, dried it off, fogged it, and put it in a closed metal building (figured I'd replace the starter at the beginning of this season). I posted about getting my new starter a couple of days ago, got it installed and the engine will NOT turn over. Ok so I pull the driveshaft cover and try to turn it by hand. Nope. I put a small pipe wrench on it and promptly broke off the grease zerk. Still won't turn. Pulled the spark plugs, filled the cylinders up with 2 stroke oil and put the seat back on and let it sit. Last night I brought a bigger pipe wrench home, and a cheater bar. I was done asking nicely. I broke it loose but it is still very hard to turn. I am guessing rusted bearings in the crank? Even sitting enclosed, after fogging.
Any ideas to loosen things up (remember I have less than $500 in this ski total, and it's a first gen, so I won't be averse to even wacky possibly destructive ideas). I have already gotten more than my money's worth out of this ski, I just don't think it's fully dead yet, and I'm not giving up until it is 100% dead. I don't really want to throw any more parts money at it, just want to loosen it up so it will turn and then I'm gonna full send it. This is probably the last season for the old gal. Thanks for reading.

Maybe before you go too crazy pull the jet pump off. If your lucky the pump is locked and not the engine. Also, remove the plugs to make it easier to turn the engine

Maybe before you go too crazy pull the jet pump off. If your lucky the pump is locked and not the engine. Also, remove the plugs to make it easier to turn the engine
Great suggestion. Deep breathing exercises, I'll pull the pump today. After looking into your suggestion, I do suspect the pump.

You can ask another question. Was the starter bad or were there other issues? Good luck with the ski. I like seeing the old ones still doing what they were built to do. :) They are just as fun and way cheaper money.

For future reference there is no good that can come from using a big wrench to break free an engine. Something is stuck or seized and by forcing it over you are just going to do more damage.

For a locked up Seadoo the first step is to pull the pump.

Ok, thanks to everyone who replied. I understand what Mikidymac said, but working with 2 stroke yard equipment and RC engines, usually if you can get it rotating freely it will come back to life for a while. I have yet to pull the pump, first I have to get the ski back on the trailer. I should be able to do that tonight, but I strongly suspect the pump (I can wiggle the engine output shaft by hand until the pump splines engage). I should have slowed down and though first before losing my temper. I will get her going again, and let y'all know what I find.

You can ask another question. Was the starter bad or were there other issues? Good luck with the ski. I like seeing the old ones still doing what they were built to do. :) They are just as fun and way cheaper money.
Starter was bad, no other issues. We ran it last October at Crystal River, and out into the ocean. The bendix wouldn't push out, fully engage, or stay engaged.

Ok, thanks to everyone who replied. I understand what Mikidymac said, but working with 2 stroke yard equipment and RC engines, usually if you can get it rotating freely it will come back to life for a while. I have yet to pull the pump, first I have to get the ski back on the trailer. I should be able to do that tonight, but I strongly suspect the pump (I can wiggle the engine output shaft by hand until the pump splines engage). I should have slowed down and though first before losing my temper. I will get her going again, and let y'all know what I find.

Not on these. Once it is seized the damage has been done.

One thing is the damage is done if it is damaged. You just ride the ski till it breaks. I'm still shocked that a ski I worked on 3 years ago is still running. I rattled like a cement mixer after I replaced the engine mounts and did a proper alignment. Not my ski but a local guy..

I had a 1990 Si I bought new. Lot of fun, one year I went out and could "feel" the engine getting "tight". I should have shut it off IMMEDIATELY. Seconds later, she locked up. Pulled the engine next day, and she turned over fine. WTF... My pump was seized, guess a seal blew and no oil? One new pump later she was fine. Boy do I watch the pump oil now...

Pull the plugs and see if it filled with oil and is just hydro-locked. Common on older rebuild and original 717/787's. Not sure if the older motor's do the same.

Ok, so to update this thread. Thank you to everyone for the replies and comments. The active participation is one of the best parts of this forum. I finally had a chance to tie the ski to a tree stump to pull the pump off. It is the easiest way I have found. Two ratchet straps hooked to the inside fins on the pump and a stump and the pump will pop free neatly. The pump is locked tight. A few weeds wrapped around the driveshaft. Engine is fine, after pulling the pump it started on the second spin. Pulled the cone, full of oil, no emulsion or water mixing evidence, so now I'm a bit confused as to what has the pump locked up. Mostly curiosity as I have a pump rebuild kit coming. The old girl should be up and running for the 4th.20220626_085220.jpg

The tool is supposed to be delivered today to pull the impeller. I had a LOT of trouble on this wear ring. I froze it, heated the pump housing, and still had to hammer it home. I have a new wear ring to go on after I get this one out. I'm really surprised to see it that tight with over 4hrs of run time on it. I though it would've self clearanced. Poormanracing, you may be right, when I got the old wear ring off prior to this one there was a lot of corrosion inside. I put a wire cone on a drill and cleaned it up, and I do it again when I pull the impeller this time.

Okay. I'm back after the long 4th of July weekend. So, on the 29th I pulled the impeller, and cut out the old wear ring. The impeller was completely dug in on all sides to the wear ring, almost like the wear ring swelled. After getting it out the pump housing also had a lot of aluminum corrosion where it touches the wear ring. I whizz-wheeled the inside of the housing clean and shiny, and took a look at all of the bearings. They were in fine shape, but I installed the new ones anyway. I put it all back together and let it sit until Saturday to let the rtv cure. Saturday came, we hit the lake and ran 3 tanks of fuel through the ski, Sunday we did 2 more. She ran perfectly. Thank you to everyone who replied or followed my thread. Hopefully I will be able to resume just posting adventure pics with the skis versus broken ski pics.
ps for those wondering I did put a new shaft seal on after this pic was taken.
20220701_195459.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back