Engine fires for a couple secs. then dies

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcr357

Thought I was finally out of the woods with my boat. Today I was going to take it into a canal for the first time this year, it always fired up fine. WHen I hit the starter today, it beeped four times. I thought it was a bad switch causing the mpem to read that is was in gear, so I took out the controls and checked everything out, it come out fine. While I was playing with the wiring, it started and ran ok. I shut it off, then tried to restart. Now it will turn over and run for a second max, then shut off. The if I keep pressing the start button, nothing, it wont continue to crank after it fires up for half a second. It seems when I move the wiring around in the dash area, it has some effect on if it turns over or is dead. Also, the dess was not communicating with the mpem sporadically, since the motor would not turn over and I was getting the one long beep. (I think, my beeper died and it makes a faint clicking sound. WIll try to get one today) Any ideas what I could check? I think there is a problem with the dess wiring, but not completely sure. Any ideas?

Hellos, try the choke. Pull the choke a bit to see if it stays running, maybe air/gas combustion related; as well check to see if the gas filter is clogged and if the carb is correctly letting gas pass.

I'm no mechanic, but I'm pretty sure pulling the choke a bit once it's on will keep it running (now as to why/what to do to correct this, wait for someone with more skill to actually guide you). good luck.

Thanks man. I tried that, but the cutting out seems to be elec related(yay). Now its not turning over, just two beeps indicating all go, push the start button, then four beeps. Dam thing is NOT in gear. I removed the in gear ignition cutout switch and ohm'd it, it seems that the switch is not closing the circuit in open or closed position. Unfortunately, this is not the problem. I tried closing the circuit manually, but still the same thing happened. Also, I occasionally get a slow, single, repeating beep when whatever is haunting my boats elec system really wants to aggrivate me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back