Engine bracket replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lashk

I noticed the engine bracket (see picture) on the rear of my '04 sportster is pretty eaten up with rust from the previous owner running it in saltwater I assume. I was wondering how hard it is to change this out. Somehow the mounts that bolt to the hull look ok but the black bracket is full of rust. I know it is important to have the engine aligned correctly, but if I reuse any existing shims and I'm careful to position it as best i can to where it was can i get away with not having to use that expensive alignment tool? Also what is the best way to support under the engine while removing the bracket? Thanks guys.

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 14
how rusted is it? If it is still structurally sound I wouldnt touch it. If it is a cosmetic thing sand it by hand IN the boat and spray paint it carefully. That will buy you a few more years if it is still sound. Mine are Rusted along the Welds in my 1996 Challenger which is run regularrly in salt water. Just a lil paint goes a long way

You should be ok with removing that particular bracket with everything still in the hull. Place a piece of wood under the motor to support in so any undo pressure will not be placed on the draveshaft and cause problems. Keep track of your shims, take it out, clean and paint and reinstall. I myself have a bunch of them that I have had nickel plated, for replacement for my customers, to prevent just what you are experiencing.

how rusted is it? If it is still structurally sound I wouldnt touch it. If it is a cosmetic thing sand it by hand IN the boat and spray paint it carefully. That will buy you a few more years if it is still sound. Mine are Rusted along the Welds in my 1996 Challenger which is run regularrly in salt water. Just a lil paint goes a long way

Well, put it this way. There are flakes of it laying on the bottom of the hull, it's pretty bad. Funny thing is its the only thing on boat with rust. I will try it myself with the pointers given. As far as I can tell the allen bolts are 6mm size. Are most bolts and nuts on Seadoo's metric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back