End cap Feeler--Billet knock offs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

racerxxx

Ok guys with all the billet goodie threads going around I figured this might be a good time to get these out there and see what the interest would be. This is for the guys who want the trick parts on their bars but want to retain their stock pad and not switch over to a UMI or R&D steering set up. The one in the pic is just a sample I had made. I had MANY different types of aftermarket finger throttle to compare with. Well, not one of them is exactly the same. So with that said I was trying to make a "universal" set of end caps. What that means is, you need to notch for the cables and wires. Each guy can custom tailor the angle of the trigger and switches to their own ergonomics. Read this way--I don't want to make 10 different parts so don't ask. These will be made with the hole for the handle bar only, you will be responsible for the rest. Now you ask how the heck am I going to modify the aluminum, well...... they're not aluminum, I made them from Delrin which is a pretty tough plastic but can be modded with a dremel. They only come in black and I would like them to go in pairs, you would be responsible for finding the billet goodies to go with them. There are NO SCREWS to mount them, they are held on by the throttle or the billet VTS housing. Let me know what you guys think. The CNC is programmed, the fixtures are made, I just need to know quantities before I would even turn the CNC loose. Before we ask price, I have to recheck that, but I know if I can get 25 of each side I can wiggle the price down from where it originally was. Keep this in mind---this is not my full time job, I do this crap for fun, my father in law who will be making the parts, does do this(machine shop) for a living, so he needs to eat. So, what do you all think, cool or bust?

You can see the vintage billet one next to mine. I do have the other side but the ones I had made for "test" I shipped out and I can't seem to find the pic, I have to keep digging. I had to reverse engineer it from the aluminum one, I spent some good time measuring that and drawing it up in CAD.

824.jpg

825.jpg

826.jpg

827.jpg

828.jpg

829.jpg

830.jpg

i have been wanting to put the stock bars n pad back on my 98xp,but i didnt wanna get rid of the trigger,and didnt want the gapin hole at the end of the pad,so,ill take a set if u go thru with it,perfect timing bud.lemme know.
troy

i just need to know where to send money.im in no kinda hurry to get the parts,but ill send money when u need it. thanx,
troy

OK I got the trail set of caps to Gary13 today and he is shopping other goodies to go with. We will get some pics of them.

OK I got the trail set of caps to Gary13 today and he is shopping other goodies to go with. We will get some pics of them.

Any updates?

Racerxxx,

I may be interested pending prices.

Also, If you don't end up selling these I would like the CAD :) Then I could pop out a set for myself.

uploadfromtaptalk1371417584726.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1371417622775.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1371417662212.jpg
Original
uploadfromtaptalk1371417719002.jpg
Original
uploadfromtaptalk1371417744051.jpg

Grips were originally too short, Racer's end caps were easily modified to fit my UMI vts and finger throttle.
Personally like the look!

Sorry for the delay.... I took a spill last weekend. L1 crushed, couple broken ribs and 5 days@ local hospital...

Thanks
Gary
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

View attachment 19908

View attachment 19909

View attachment 19910
Original
View attachment 19911
Original
View attachment 19912

Grips were originally too short, Racer's end caps were easily modified to fit my UMI vts and finger throttle.

Sorry for the delay.... I took a spill last weekend. L1 crushed, couple broken ribs and 5 days@ local hospital...

Thanks
Gary
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
GEEZ GARY! hate to hear that,hope for a speedy recovery!

Gary, sorry to hear about the spill, hope you're feeling kinda better.

This was the feedback I was looking for. The material should drill real nice and cut real easy with a dremel or a coping saw if you needed to make a notch. I also see that where you mounted the thumb throttle was in a way different position from where I had it mounted. With the aluminum end caps you're pretty much locked into where your thumb/finger throttle is. This might not be comfortable for all riders, so allowing each rider to configure the end cap to their position is the way to go. It also take one or two extra processes out of the machining, it turn it keeps the cost down too.

I assume it was easy to notch for the wiring as well? Sorry for the questions but I just want as much feedback/detail. If you want to PM me that is fine and I could shoot you my number to actually talk vs. 50 emails. I'll run some pricing past my FIL tomorrow and see where we can get. I have a number in my head on where I want to be, now to see how many sets it will take to get there.

Thanks again Gary and hope you get better soon. Can't forget to thank [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] too for sending them to Gary, and also [MENTION=33508]ocod[/MENTION] for kinda kicking this whole project off.

Gary, sorry to hear about the spill, hope you're feeling kinda better.

This was the feedback I was looking for. The material should drill real nice and cut real easy with a dremel or a coping saw if you needed to make a notch. I also see that where you mounted the thumb throttle was in a way different position from where I had it mounted. With the aluminum end caps you're pretty much locked into where your thumb/finger throttle is. This might not be comfortable for all riders, so allowing each rider to configure the end cap to their position is the way to go. It also take one or two extra processes out of the machining, it turn it keeps the cost down too.

I assume it was easy to notch for the wiring as well? Sorry for the questions but I just want as much feedback/detail. If you want to PM me that is fine and I could shoot you my number to actually talk vs. 50 emails. I'll run some pricing past my FIL tomorrow and see where we can get. I have a number in my head on where I want to be, now to see how many sets it will take to get there.

Thanks again Gary and hope you get better soon. Can't forget to thank @Matt Braley too for sending them to Gary, and also @ocod for kinda kicking this whole project off.

Yup,
Got to give to Matt though.
He hooked me up with the parts and thought about why can we make more!

Thanks for the shout out!

Get well soon Gary. Got to get back on the horse.
That was a serious spill to stay 5 days in hospital.
:svengo:

Thanks guys and yeah that sucks about Gary. We were about to take a couple modified X4's on a river exploration and this happened to him while he was tuning in the morning before he came over. I'm pretty sure he was north of 60 when it spilled him. I wasn't there but am hurting for him also.
Gary- We are gonna have to switch the trim tabs since you have ruled the sponsons out. The end caps turned out perfect! I'm gonna look out for a billet purple anodized trim switch holder to trade you for that black one.

The material was super easy to notch/slot for the wires and the throttle cable. A dremel and drill press made quick work of the plastic allowing easy customization based on the flavor of AM VTS , start, throttle to be installed.

I picked up a new UMI two button VTS black billet block from eBay(courtesy of a heads up from Matt, thanks!).
Masking tape and marker to ident slot location on end cap, about 2 minutes of material removal and cleanup... VTS done.

Ebay provided a red Finger throttle/start button billet in very nice shape-
This required pulling start button/harness from port to starboard side of pad, masking tape, marker then dremel wire slot on end cap.
Moving the throttle from thumb to finger required altering the internal white foam cable channel to route the throttle cable accordingly.
The wire and the cable cutouts are slotted in the pad end cap to allow adjusting the finger throttle angle (once I get back on the horse...)

Btw the end cap fit was very good on the 96 xp OEM pad.
Racer, I would be happy to chat real time, will pm my cell.

Thanks Racer and Matt for this opportunity,
Gary

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

[MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION] Is there enough interest yet? I know how this goes a couple guys are in but not enough to mass produce.

[MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION] Is there enough interest yet? I know how this goes a couple guys are in but not enough to mass produce.

I just called my FIL about them and he's going to go back and look at the job again and will let me know in a few days. Here is what they cost 14 years ago, mine are more than that but in reality, not that much. Here is the page from my UMI catalog from '99 just so guys can see the price difference. So the old UMI's are $29 each side plus shipping

496.jpg

OK guys here goes.

I can sell these shipped by the PAIR for $90 or the right side only for $50. I have added the Paypal fees that I will be charged and the flat rate shipping to the US. I will ship to Canada, just PM me your details.

You will receive one left side and one right side. If you only want the right side (throttle side) it will be $50 shipped.

As soon as I tell the shop to start it will be a week or so for them to get them to me. I know $90 may seem high, but when you think about it (look one post up) you can see they were $30 each less shipping, so you can figure they were probably $65-$68 a pair back then.

Please copy and paste the next post and add your name and how many pairs you want. I'll start it off with JSG since he already gave me the commitment. I'll let this ride until next Friday, I really need 10 guys to commit, if were close I'll pick up a pair to push us there and if you know anyone on GH or PWCT that may be interested send them to here. For those of you who PM'd me, I'll PM you to remind you about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
After bouncing a few ideas off Krispy here goes.

$90 a pair shipped

Or a right side for $50 shipped

To make this work I need a total of 20 pieces, that is where the pricing is, and whatever quantity of rights and lefts it takes to get it. The CNC is programmed to knock out a left and a right but I can have that changed. So get on the list and tell me whether you want a pair or just a right or just a left. I'm trying to get this 20 total so I can have them cut and all shipped, I can't inventory these to have for future sales sorry. These will fit the rubber bar pads and the later plastic bar pads.

Let's see if guys can jump on board.

[MENTION=62923]Krispy[/MENTION] [MENTION=53263]donkey[/MENTION] where you guys at? Lets get these things made and shipped. It takes a bunch of time and effort to get these kind of things rolling.

I can be in if someone will give me a good deal on the corresponding billet bits.

JSG what ya got for me? ;)

Really I just want a finger throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back