electrical gremlin - 2004 gtx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdoonewbie

Hi guys - I'm a newbie to this forum and pwc's in general. I'm also fairly technically and mechanically useless! :) So now that I've gotten that out of the way, I wanted to describe my issue. I purchased this unit earlier this spring and have had issues with it since. I have had someone address some of the problem, but I'm now stuck with an electrical issue whereby I have something sucking my battery when the machine is off resulting in a dead battery the following day. I've posted a link to a youtube video with the sound
please start at about the 5 or 6 second mark). Any thoughts on what this is, and more importantly what I can do to rectify the issue?
Mechanically the thing is solid. It runs fine and does what it is supposed to do...but once the machine is off, that's when the gremlin enters and sucks away all of my joy! Thank you for viewing, and hope I've done this right :)

Put your meter on amps in series with the negative cable and the negative terminal on the battery. One at a time remove a fuse till there is “zero” current draw on the meter,,,could even be the starter selenoid,,,?

Hey Cdoonewbie. I am having the same problem with my 04 Seadoo GTX supercharged. Attached the battery for first time this year and am getting 2 click/switch noises within 5 seconds of each other followed by that noise you are getting. That cycle keeps repeating until I unhook the negative cable. I will try what POPPS suggested above…hopefully just a fuse. I had the rectifier replaced last year. Let me know how you make out and I’ll do the same.

Put your meter on amps in series with the negative cable and the negative terminal on the battery. One at a time remove a fuse till there is “zero” current draw on the meter,,,could even be the starter selenoid,,,?
Thanks POPPS, I will give that a try and see what comes of it. Someone had mentioned MPEM being a possibility, so I'm hoping that is not the case.

Hey Cdoonewbie. I am having the same problem with my 04 Seadoo GTX supercharged. Attached the battery for first time this year and am getting 2 click/switch noises within 5 seconds of each other followed by that noise you are getting. That cycle keeps repeating until I unhook the negative cable. I will try what POPPS suggested above…hopefully just a fuse. I had the rectifier replaced last year. Let me know how you make out and I’ll do the same.
Sounds good Laner! I'll likely give it a whirl this evening and let you know how I make out. Good luck to you as well :)

Hi POPPS and Laner22 - so I've been busy pulling fuses and it looks like the fuse that stops the noise is the 5A one which correlates to EMS start/stop circuit. Based on some initial reading that doesn't appear to be a good sign. Any inexpensive options here or is this basically a no choice MPEM replacement?? To make things even better...it appears this part is discountinued as well :(

Laner 22, I hope it's not a similar situation for you!

Don't replace your MPEM, you are going to have to replace your ECU. I had this same issue, like many others on here, with my 2004 155 GTX. I replaced the MPEM, the entire wire harness, and the recitifier before finally fixing it with a functional ECU. If you want to band aid the issue, you can install a cut off switch to save the battery. I did this for a while until I could find a decently priced ECU. Good luck.

Here are some links to similiar issues and solutions: relay switch clicking
2004 GTX 155 - Have about had it. About to create an artificial reef due to relay issue.

Have a 2003 GTX 4Tec 155. Haven't seen this exact problem.
You can get a marine off/on for small $$ and install permanently as long as your extended wiring is kept short and using marine grade cable.
Ride for the Summer and revisit it when it is too cold to ride.
Just one riders opinion. We only get MAYBE 6 months here in NJ.

I have the same issue with my 06 GTX 4 tec, but with a no start on top of that. From what I've read on other threads here, it would be the ECU. Im hoping I can get it running before having to replace it, but who knows.

To the OP, I have my old setup laying around if you want it. DM me your address and I will ship it out to you.

Attachments

• CBBD395F-F152-4C02-8D3C-4238A2A4802B.jpeg
    CBBD395F-F152-4C02-8D3C-4238A2A4802B.jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 11
To the OP, I have my old setup laying around if you want it. DM me your address and I will ship it out to you.
Scriz , I’m so sorry for the late response as I was away for work and haven’t been checking. Thank you so much for the kind offer and the suggestion! From what I had read online it does sound like the ECU. Could I ask where you located the ECU? By the way are you in the US or Canada?

Have a 2003 GTX 4Tec 155. Haven't seen this exact problem.
You can get a marine off/on for small $$ and install permanently as long as your extended wiring is kept short and using marine grade cable.
Ride for the Summer and revisit it when it is too cold to ride.
Just one riders opinion. We only get MAYBE 6 months here in NJ.
Thanks acooper…much appreciated!

Scriz , I’m so sorry for the late response as I was away for work and haven’t been checking. Thank you so much for the kind offer and the suggestion! From what I had read online it does sound like the ECU. Could I ask where you located the ECU? By the way are you in the US or Canada?
I sourced a used ecu on eBay. It was 600 with the key. They don’t make them anymore, so you have to pay top dollar for parts now. As for location, I am in sunny Florida.

I found a guy in Fairhope, AL that tests and repairs ecu's for around 500, planning on sending him mine this week. Ill try to update and see if it helps me any.

Jet tech Watersports, Fairhope AL, for those interested.

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your ECU and was that guy in Fairhope able to fix it? I would love to get mine fixed as a backup given the lack of used parts for these older skis.

Make sure you have the right battery with a/h or amps per hour, my fuel pump was taking too much amperage and was coding and would start but was flooding, tried the 69.00 fuel pump vs 1150.00 from dealer and still having some issues but sat for 10 years

You’re issue is almost certainly just a bad battery. It's got so little juice that it can't hold the main relay closed, so it's getting stuck in that little loop. The voltage can be in the right range, but it not have enough current available due to internal damage. I've seen them cause all kinds of weird problems like yours.

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your ECU and was that guy in Fairhope able to fix it? I would love to get mine fixed as a backup given the lack of used parts for these older skis.
Sent off the ECU, he said it was fried. Got a brand new one, and a hole in my wallet. Apparently you can get new ecu's for these skis.

Got it hooked up, and it did not solve the issue.

I was planning on getting a new battery anyways, I have no idea the history of the current one. Im hoping that solves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back