Dying 2005 Rxt

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reece I

I recently purchased a 2005 Rxt everything looked and sounded great. Took it out on the water and had a blast for about 10 mins then I let my dad take a ride. He went out and was taking forever to come back and ended up dying on him shortly after he got on... so we took it back home and thought maybe the battery was just dead so we charged it and took it out a few days later. Same thing died after about 15 mins of riding screen goes blank then turns on then dies right after again. Any body have an idea of what it could be?? Im thinking electrical.

had this happen on my rxt 260 is- in addition to the stalling and screen- the IBS was geeking and it was throwing all kinds of strange IBS codes. turned out to be a bad ground cable off the battery. removed the cables, cleaned it all up, replaced the battery and everything went away- well, until a few weeks later when the supercharger blew :(

had this happen on my rxt 260 is- in addition to the stalling and screen- the IBS was geeking and it was throwing all kinds of strange IBS codes. turned out to be a bad ground cable off the battery. removed the cables, cleaned it all up, replaced the battery and everything went away- well, until a few weeks later when the supercharger blew :(
Thanks we brought the battery in to get tested and said it was a good Battery... I will definitely take a look at the ground wires. Im also thinking it may be a bad Dess post?

Thanks we brought the battery in to get tested and said it was a good Battery... I will definitely take a look at the ground wires. Im also thinking it may be a bad Dess post?

seems unlikely to be the dess- that's either on or off and sends the signal to the ecm. my guess is a bad ground or connection somewhere. these ski's take a pounding out on the water- eventually, things loosen up. can't recall how many issues I've had that were traced back to a ground / connection issue.

Sounds to me as a stator issue. Measure your battery voltage with engine off, and when the engine is running and post back.

I Cleaned the ground wire up and didn’t change anything... Im thinking it might be a temperature issue, is there a sensor anywhere?

I've seen that with an old motorcycle. Also, last year the stator on my ATV started acting suddenly. It would run sort of roughly and OK when I pull the choke but it would die otherwise (but it would restart correctly). So my answer is maybe yes but my experience on that is not with a Sea-Doo. Changing the stator on both machines fixed the issue.

Update: Took it out got about 20 mins of use then died came back on and discovered that if you stay under 30 mph it wont die but if you go over it’ll die on you. You can go however fast, slow, Medium speed before it dies the first time but after you have that problem

i had this issue on my Outlander 1000 with the rotax twin- wouldn't go over 30mph- no codes- ran rough at 1/2 throttle- it started and idled fine- turned out to be a faulty fuel pump. i know its not a ski, but mechanically similar.

i had this issue on my Outlander 1000 with the rotax twin- wouldn't go over 30mph- no codes- ran rough at 1/2 throttle- it started and idled fine- turned out to be a faulty fuel pump. i know its not a ski, but mechanically similar.
That sounds like its the problem but it doesn’t make sense why it has no issues for 20 mins and then does it

That sounds like its the problem but it doesn’t make sense why it has no issues for 20 mins and then does it
fuel pump may heat up and get less efficient at keeping proper psi in the lines- my last pontoon boat had a near new mercury 150 outboard- after de-winterizing it, fueling it up with fresh gas and getting it into the water, it would run okay for about 5 minutes until i gave it throttle- then it back fired and ran real rough. after spending $100 on fuel filters- i found the gas in the tank was contaminated- i hooked a portable tank to it and it ran perfect. spent a whole day draining & drying out the internal tank with compressed air and a hair dryer. filled it back up and it ran perfect. may not fix your issues, but just something to think about....

btw- may not be relevant, but just an example of spark issues- had a 1969 mach 1 mustang- thing ran beautiful first 15 or so minutes- then would die and not start back up for about 30 minutes. had a lot of people scratching their heads until my 78yo grandfather said to remove the ignition coil off the intake manifold- i put it on the firewall and it resolved the issue. coil was heating up causing a short in the coil. Don't know if a stator will react in a similar way with heat if it's going bad, but just something else to think about...

I measured my voltages and with engine off it read 12.4 volts and with engine on it kept climbing up to 12.6 volts

I run about 13.2 volts at open throttle (5000+ RPM) on a used OEM rectifier I just bought from eBay. Seems a little low (should be around 14 volts if everything is charging properly). Resting voltage when off is about 12.6 volts. I bought an aftermarket rectifier, and it was hitting almost 16 volts at open throttle! Bad bad bad.

2005 GTX Limited 215, 220 hours

I measured my voltages and with engine off it read 12.4 volts and with engine on it kept climbing up to 12.6 volts

Check your stator connector, maybe it is bad. Measure between the 3 pins, all should have very low resistance reading (0,1 Ohm)
Hopefully it is just this connector, they burn out sometimes. If not, then the PTO housing need to come out to get to the stator.

Attachments

• IMG_1951 (002).jpg
    IMG_1951 (002).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 13
Check your stator connector, maybe it is bad. Measure between the 3 pins, all should have very low resistance reading (0,1 Ohm)
Hopefully it is just this connector, they burn out sometimes. If not, then the PTO housing need to come out to get to the stator.

funny you mention that- i literally just cut out my stator connector and soldiered / heatshrunk the wires because mine burnt up! it caused my engine to not even start- just crank over.

Attachments

• 20190706_090256.jpg
    20190706_090256.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back