Dumb problems with Switch Sport.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Phobos84

Hey guys,

This is my first post. I just got a 2023 Switch sport compact. I'm having a few dumb problems and I'm sure its just operator error. I called the dealer and they were of no help.

So I tried to put gas in the Switch yesterday before taking it out on the river. It took 5 gallons and the gas pump shut off like the tank was full. (It definitely wasn't full). After that point it would not take ANY more fuel. What am I missing? Is there a vent that needs opened for fueling? How can I fill it up past a half tank?

Also I am totally lost as far as how to use the Garmin GPS that came with this thing. It's way over my head. Can anyone recommend a video or a thread that shows the basics? The only thing "useful" I can get it to do is show a compass. And being my phone can do that it's not that useful. I did see that with a bus network it can show gauges and read DTC's so I might upgrade to that.

Thanks guys for any help.

Well after re-fueling twice today (long day on the river) I figured out the issue. So the Switch dosn't have a gas cap. Instead it has a spring loaded "gland" inside the fill neck. If you try and get fuel from a station that has a nozzle shapped a sertain way it will not open that gland properly. This will make it almost impossable to fill the tank. I tried this again today at my local Quick Fill. I had to basicly trickle in $100 worth of gas. It took a very long time. Well after hours on the water I pulled the Switch out and went to a Sheetz gas station for fuel and a sandwich. The pumps there have a slightly different nozzle shape. It took fuel without any issue.

So if anyone reads this and has this issue try a different station.

... Also I am totally lost as far as how to use the Garmin GPS that came with this thing. It's way over my head. Can anyone recommend a video or a thread that shows the basics? The only thing "useful" I can get it to do is show a compass. And being my phone can do that it's not that useful. I did see that with a bus network it can show gauges and read DTC's so I might upgrade to that.

Thanks guys for any help.

Can't exactly help on a "how to" when all you post is "Garmin". But I would start with looking for the user manual on their site. You first need to know what model you have and start from there.

Can't exactly help on a "how to" when all you post is "Garmin". But I would start with looking for the user manual on their site. You first need to know what model you have and start from there.

The model is a UHD 72sv. The issue was the fact that they put the thing in the boat and didn't include a transducer or an NMEA 2000 network connection so the gauge display will work. All the thing will do on a small river without more add-ons is be a compass. I was a little upset to learn that. The dealer told me it came with a depth finder. Well it only came with the screen for one.

Since I started this thread I added an in hull transducer and got the sonar to work pretty well. The GPS "chart plotter" part of it makes absolutely no sense to me. I just have no idea what I'm looking at. I imagine it would make more sense in a larger body of water. But the sonar is impressive.

Next I'm going to add a 10K ohm thermistor to the 12 pin transducer adapter harness so I'll have water temp on the display. Eventually I'll add the NMEA 2000 bus so I can use the "gauge" screen on the Garmin. I guess I didn't understand why they would ship the boat with a screen like this and then from Seadoo it basically can't do anything. Luckily I'm an electronics nerd so I can add sensors. But the GPS part of it is out of my wheel house.

This is the first device like this I have ever seen. I've done a lot with Holley EFI touch screens in cars with CAN inputs and outputs. So I understand the electronics of it. But the software of a chart plotter is my issue. I guess I was expecting a satalight image and a blue dot like a cell phone.

Last edited:
The GPSMAP 72 is a good mapping and NMEA2000 display. You may need to buy a transducer and or a chart card to use those functions however. The manual is here - https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/echomapuhd/EN-US/ECHOMAP_UHD_OM_EN-US.pdf

If you want to display the engine data on the display this thread may help you out - NMEA 2000 on a 2005 4-Tec SCIC Challenger 180 It is for my 2005 Challenger, but the relevance is still the same.

Thanks for the info. I installed a GT15M-IH in hull transducer. I'm impressed with how well that setup works on the river as far as sonar goes. Even at 35 mph it doesn't skip a beat. Even when I get up to the dam and the water depth is over 80 feet.

The NMEA 2000 stuff seems pretty straight forward. Nothing there I haven't done before while working on other equipment. I just needed the exact data to put on the .txt file for it to display properly.

In the manual it gave me a 3D barcode to scan to download maps? I tried that and the site just took me in circles. To be honest I don't really know what a chart plotter is? I guess I don't understand what it does that Google maps can't. I'm sure this is just my ignorance of it. Being that this is my first boat and before buying it had no idea that these devices even existed on a consumer level I guess it's no wonder lol.

I really appreciate the help. When I get a chance I'll see what I can find on youtube. I'm sure there are lots of people who have made videos about how to use these things.

I'll post my setup file in my thread so you can take a look. The baud rate will need to be changed to 500 from 250.

Nothing is free with Garmin. But you may need to get Active Captain on you phone and/or save your GPSMAP data to an SD card and then use Garmin Express to see what is available to you. It may be that you need to purchase a chart(s). But I think most base maps are free.

I saw a video about the Switch that showed how to use that 3D bar-code to get a free download through Garmin. Something about the maps for your region? I didn't even know the thing had a slot for an SD card until I saw the video lol. He has a walkthrough on how to download the map and use the code. So this weekend I'll format an SD card and give it a shot. I guess the cost for the maps are included in the price of the boat.

I saw a video about the Switch that showed how to use that 3D bar-code to get a free download through Garmin. Something about the maps for your region? I didn't even know the thing had a slot for an SD card until I saw the video lol. He has a walkthrough on how to download the map and use the code. So this weekend I'll format an SD card and give it a shot. I guess the cost for the maps are included in the price of the boat.

if Youtube doesn't pan out this may help Adding Marine Charts to a Garmin Chartplotter | Garmin Customer Support

Back