Dielectric Grease - other options?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerC

Hi All, i have been trying to obtain some dielectric grease to put on my electrical connectors on the doo. Unfortunately after ringing the many electrical and lubricant type suppliers in our town and recieving mostly "err you want what, i dont know what that is" responses. I find myself looking for an alternative. I am about a four hour drive from the nearest seadoo place to get the BRP version.
So.....
Would "vaseline" (petrolium Jelly) be a suitable alternative?
If not what can be used? If anything.

Cheers :)

Ouch, ok i will strike that definately off the list. Dont want any new problems to deal with. Thanks. Looks like i will have to just keep looking.

For over 25 years I have used vaseline as a method of preventing moisture to decay electrical fittings in airline and land mobile radio service, only about 15 years in marine service - it is pure petroleum jelly, no colorants or coagulants to cause harmful effects, a little dab will doo ya or fill the body and push till it runs out and no more trouble there. If you have this shorting something out you have bigger fish to filet.

mmm ok, interesting. Follow up research tells me that i now have a couple of other suggestions also.
A product called "Nutralux" (not sure on the spelling) that the local 4WD guys use.
and
A silicone grease that the local dive shop guys use on their gear?

Any more thoughts from anyone??

Noalox is a product also known in the world as penetrox, it has a thicker viscosity than vaseline - these both have been serving the electrical industry to seal air from aluminum fittings with copper wires, everywhere in the world uses aluminum overhead wiring up to 15KV and many service loops but the wiring inside the house must be copper so there must be a suitable connector, using the thicker gel makes it stay good for about 15 years or so with exposure to sunshine and icing of wires.

I second that

I think the problem is everyone thinks it is called "bulb grease" because that is what most auto stores sell to apply to the base of light bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back