Did all 1996 skies (except the HX) have the D.E.S.S. system?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bawray

Last year I bought an HX for me and I wanted a second ski that is "friendlier" to ride so my sons, friends, whoever can ride with me on this ski.

So, I bought a 2001 XP Limited last year. I sent tons of time and some $ on it. Then, consequently sold it because I did NOT enjoy working on it. I never figured out why it wouldn't go over 6000 RPM (although it ran great from 0-6000) and I hated the D.E.S.S. system (always had issues with it. I did tons of work on that ski and I am NOT looking to get another ski with a D.E.S.S. And...the 951 motor may be great but it was a PAIN in my ARSE to work on. I NEVER want to remove those carbs again!

So, I am looking at a 1996 XP as a scond ski. I can't definitely find out if it has the D.E.S.S. I think it does.

Will I need to look at 1995 and earlier skies to find one without D.E.S.S.?

Last edited:
96 spx doesn't have dess but if you want something reliable and atill fast get a 95 xp(720) it doesn't have dess

You can look on the electrical schematics of the skis you are interested in. If the safety switch has 3 wires and is labelled anti-theft it is DESS. If only 2 wires then non-DESS. The 96 XP is DESS.

You can look on the electrical schematics of the skis you are interested in. If the safety switch has 3 wires and is labelled anti-theft it is DESS. If only 2 wires then non-DESS. The 96 XP is DESS.
Got it. Thanks. I do see the 96 XP safety switch has 3 wires. HX has only 1. SPX only 1.

All of my skis have DESS and never had a single issue.
My XP Limited (which was actually a 98...I don't know why I wrote 2001 before) was the only ski I have had with DESS. It gave me fits when I first bought the ski. Then it started working ok after a few months. So, I guess I am not that worried about another DESS ski. I just like the simplicity of the HX, 717 motor and no DESS or gauges or buttons to worry about. I am looking at 95 XP's now.

And...do I dare write this...I have read many posts and I know I am asking for trouble...but I am also looking at buying either a 2004 or a 2005 3D. I know the 3D has DESS which I guess is OK. However I do not want the 2006 or 2007 model with the 947. The XP Limited had a 947 motor and I just hated working on that huge (for the hull) motor.

The bigger issue with the 3D is fuel injection. It is great when working but when it isn't it is so much worse than your XP limited or any other ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back