DI Intermittent Maint Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaarrEagle

I finally got my rebuilt 2000 GTX DI back together and on the water. 1.0 hr on the new motor so far. It runs pretty well but I am getting an intermittent maint light/warning at times. No limp mode (i dont think - I have only run it up to 5000 RPM at this point), and no buzzer. It only lasts for a couple seconds each time. It seems that is usually happens at higher RPM's, 3.5k and up.

Per the service manual (attached), it looks like very few codes throw a maint light without any other warning text and do not put the ski in "Limp Home Mode"... only Fuel Lever Sensor, Diagnostic Cap Fault, or High Battery Voltage.

Page1.JPGPage2.JPG

Funny enough I broke the fuel level float and this was definitely causing a maint light previously, but it was a continuous fault. I have since JB Welded the arm back together and the fuel level seems to be reading correctly, so I am inclined to think this is not the issue.

I see a Candoo Pro in my future, but any last suggestions before I drop $400 that I have been trying to avoid? (or anyone want to sell me a used one?)

Is it possible the ski is in limp home mode but I am just not pushing it hard enough to notice?

The battery is several years old but seems to start and otherwise run fine.

FWIW.
I had the same issue on one of my DI’s right after rebuild. The previous owner had replaced the rectifier with aftermarket.
I tested everything when rebuilding and it tested good. End of story is I replaced it with OEM and the “some timer” on again off again issue disappeared.

I would lean to your rectifier causing battery to low or to high voltage code in your mpem. it will auto clear when you return to idle and condition isn't present

I pulled the rectifier out and it has no markings at all. I assume that means it is not OEM?
535.JPEG 536.JPEG 537.JPEG

I ran the ski in the driveway and measured a solid 12V at the battery from idle to 6k RPM. No movement at all. Same 12V with the engine off. I was hoping to see >15V but not sure what this means? Should my next move still be a new rectifier? I am thinking yes??

Most oem rectifiers the fins run horizontal that looks aftermarket....Horizontal meaning hole to hole

From this test your prob throwing a battery low code which wont affect idle until it goes into very low state

Most oem rectifiers the fins run horizontal that looks aftermarket....Horizontal meaning hole to hole
Every original rectifier I see on e-bay has the fins running the same way as mine, but they also have the SeaDoo part number painted on the side.

The OSD site shows the 4TEC upgrade as negative inventory so I bought a used one off e-bay that should arrive this week. I'll be sure to post back after I install it next weekend.

I pulled the rectifier out and it has no markings at all. I assume that means it is not OEM?
View attachment 48652 View attachment 48653 View attachment 48654

I ran the ski in the driveway and measured a solid 12V at the battery from idle to 6k RPM. No movement at all. Same 12V with the engine off. I was hoping to see >15V but not sure what this means? Should my next move still be a new rectifier? I am thinking yes??
That is a cheap aftermarket rectifier. Have never seen an OEM with no part number on it.

Every original rectifier I see on e-bay has the fins running the same way as mine, but they also have the SeaDoo part number painted on the side.

The OSD site shows the 4TEC upgrade as negative inventory so I bought a used one off e-bay that should arrive this week. I'll be sure to post back after I install it next weekend.

Ooof. You're right I got it mixed up lol. However all you have there is a good fake...Seadoo parts have p/n printed on them. The CHEAPER Chinese ones dont even bother and will put heatsink the wrong orientation and that's why they cook cheap parts and di skis don't mix lmao

Update: I wanted to buy the upgraded rectifier from OSD but it was temporarily out of stock. So I bought a used OEM unit off e-bay for $18 shipped and installed it. At idle the battery showed a clear voltage jump and it seemed to be working correctly as the motor revved. I got back on the water today for ~2 hrs. The Maint light flashed briefly on 2 occasions, both towards the beginning of my outing. I am hoping the battery was just a bit low as after that it was all good. A CanDoo is definitely on my shopping list but for the moment I think I am in the clear. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back